Feb 25, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
The Nets want Dwight Howard. And not in the “well, if you’re available, we’d love to have coffee with you” way. More in the “blurting out ‘I love you’ on the first date and talking about how easy you are to get into bed” way. The only way this gets more intense is if Mikhail Prokhorov and Billy King get matching “I <3 (Superman Logo)” tattoos. The Magic have had to endure their star player they’re still trying to talk into staying talking to other GM and players, most notably the Nets. There was even talk of a tampering charge many moons ago. But hey, good news, Orlando, Dwight’s been quarantined during All-Star Weekend. You can just get away and enjoy the celebration in your city as Dwight does good community service… with Deron Williams.
From the New York Post:
Magic officials were a bit miffed yesterday by a bit of NBA match-making. The All-Stars were paired for a “Day of Service” event in the community.
Guess whom the league chose to go with Howard? Deron Williams.
Nets officials were bombarded all day with, “Why you trying to take our guy?”
The answer: “Because they think you’re dead in the water and are desperate to save themselves lest they suffer the same fate when Deron Williams dumps them like that person you dated in college who dumped you when they found out how much pot you smoke.” (Note: I did not smoke pot in college.)
The league really has to know better than to do these things. If Howard had been traded to New Jersey by All-Star, then yeah, it would have been nice. But sticking them together is like putting a stamp of approval on this authorized tampering that has gone on.
Meanwhile, New Jersey remains the top option for Howard and his likely landing place. So at least he and Deron got to chill and catch up. And talk about Brooklyn.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 4
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 23
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10