Feb 25, 2012, 1:35 PM EST
The Nets want Dwight Howard. And not in the “well, if you’re available, we’d love to have coffee with you” way. More in the “blurting out ‘I love you’ on the first date and talking about how easy you are to get into bed” way. The only way this gets more intense is if Mikhail Prokhorov and Billy King get matching “I <3 (Superman Logo)” tattoos. The Magic have had to endure their star player they’re still trying to talk into staying talking to other GM and players, most notably the Nets. There was even talk of a tampering charge many moons ago. But hey, good news, Orlando, Dwight’s been quarantined during All-Star Weekend. You can just get away and enjoy the celebration in your city as Dwight does good community service… with Deron Williams.
From the New York Post:
Magic officials were a bit miffed yesterday by a bit of NBA match-making. The All-Stars were paired for a “Day of Service” event in the community.
Guess whom the league chose to go with Howard? Deron Williams.
Nets officials were bombarded all day with, “Why you trying to take our guy?”
The answer: “Because they think you’re dead in the water and are desperate to save themselves lest they suffer the same fate when Deron Williams dumps them like that person you dated in college who dumped you when they found out how much pot you smoke.” (Note: I did not smoke pot in college.)
The league really has to know better than to do these things. If Howard had been traded to New Jersey by All-Star, then yeah, it would have been nice. But sticking them together is like putting a stamp of approval on this authorized tampering that has gone on.
Meanwhile, New Jersey remains the top option for Howard and his likely landing place. So at least he and Deron got to chill and catch up. And talk about Brooklyn.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 1
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11