Feb 25, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
The Nets want Dwight Howard. And not in the “well, if you’re available, we’d love to have coffee with you” way. More in the “blurting out ‘I love you’ on the first date and talking about how easy you are to get into bed” way. The only way this gets more intense is if Mikhail Prokhorov and Billy King get matching “I <3 (Superman Logo)” tattoos. The Magic have had to endure their star player they’re still trying to talk into staying talking to other GM and players, most notably the Nets. There was even talk of a tampering charge many moons ago. But hey, good news, Orlando, Dwight’s been quarantined during All-Star Weekend. You can just get away and enjoy the celebration in your city as Dwight does good community service… with Deron Williams.
From the New York Post:
Magic officials were a bit miffed yesterday by a bit of NBA match-making. The All-Stars were paired for a “Day of Service” event in the community.
Guess whom the league chose to go with Howard? Deron Williams.
Nets officials were bombarded all day with, “Why you trying to take our guy?”
The answer: “Because they think you’re dead in the water and are desperate to save themselves lest they suffer the same fate when Deron Williams dumps them like that person you dated in college who dumped you when they found out how much pot you smoke.” (Note: I did not smoke pot in college.)
The league really has to know better than to do these things. If Howard had been traded to New Jersey by All-Star, then yeah, it would have been nice. But sticking them together is like putting a stamp of approval on this authorized tampering that has gone on.
Meanwhile, New Jersey remains the top option for Howard and his likely landing place. So at least he and Deron got to chill and catch up. And talk about Brooklyn.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 19
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64