Feb 25, 2012, 11:22 PM EST
Do you remember when then Minnesota coach Kurt Rambis was trying to keep Kevin Love from straying away from the basket and shooting threes? Rambis, Loves hopes you were watching.
“But for me, coming into the league, I was told not to shoot three point shots, so to be where I am now and continue to work on my game, I think this definitely speaks to my versatility,” Love said.
Love is now the best three-point shooter in the land. As determined by an exhibition contest, but still, he can knock them down.
He is the first pure power forward to win the event. Sure, Dirk Nowitzki is technically a power forward, but he’s really his own kind of hybrid four. Who would you take in a rebounding contest? Exactly.
Love was not the favorite going in. That was probably Anthony Morrow was rocking the throwback Drazen Petrovic Nets jersey. But he tweeted before the event he was nervous and he looked with, he didn’t get through all the balls in the first round and had the lowest score. Orlando’s own Ryan Anderson was close to advancing to the final round, and the crowd groaned on missed last moneyball shot he missed that eliminated him.
Defending champion James Jones put up the best single score of the night, 22 points in the first round (hitting 13 of 15 at one point). But he went ice cold in the final round.
Durant and Love tied, went to a shootout and it was all Love. Or enough. He wins. Both in this contest and in Minnesota where the new coach lets him shoot threes.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)