Feb 25, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
Do you remember when then Minnesota coach Kurt Rambis was trying to keep Kevin Love from straying away from the basket and shooting threes? Rambis, Loves hopes you were watching.
“But for me, coming into the league, I was told not to shoot three point shots, so to be where I am now and continue to work on my game, I think this definitely speaks to my versatility,” Love said.
Love is now the best three-point shooter in the land. As determined by an exhibition contest, but still, he can knock them down.
He is the first pure power forward to win the event. Sure, Dirk Nowitzki is technically a power forward, but he’s really his own kind of hybrid four. Who would you take in a rebounding contest? Exactly.
Love was not the favorite going in. That was probably Anthony Morrow was rocking the throwback Drazen Petrovic Nets jersey. But he tweeted before the event he was nervous and he looked with, he didn’t get through all the balls in the first round and had the lowest score. Orlando’s own Ryan Anderson was close to advancing to the final round, and the crowd groaned on missed last moneyball shot he missed that eliminated him.
Defending champion James Jones put up the best single score of the night, 22 points in the first round (hitting 13 of 15 at one point). But he went ice cold in the final round.
Durant and Love tied, went to a shootout and it was all Love. Or enough. He wins. Both in this contest and in Minnesota where the new coach lets him shoot threes.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48