Steve Nash reiterates he’s not looking for a trade, but free agency…

Feb 24, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

After this All-Star Weekend the trade rumors are going to really start to ramp up as we head to the March 15 deadline.

Steve Nash’s name will come up. A lot. Because just about every team could use an elite point guard.

But when asked about it Friday, Nash did the same dance he has done with the Suns for years — he says he’s not going to ask for a trade, they say they’re not going to trade him if he doesn’t ask. His contract expires at the end of this season and he plans to test the free agent market (although he certainly will consider re-signing with Phoenix).

“I’m happy where I am. I’m happy with the organization and my teammates,” Nash said. “At the same time I would understand if the team wanted to make a move. I’m completely open. To be honest we don’t talk about that stuff I just try to prepare to play the game as well as I can.”

That said, he seems intrigued by the idea of being courted as a free agent.

“It’ll be an interesting period for me if only because I never really been through it,” Nash said. “I want to be a champion and play on the best possible team but there’s also other factors. What’s the best fit for me, environment and financial considerations.”

The other question for the teams that court Nash — how long can a point guard who turns 38 next year play? He talked a couple times about two or three years, and there is nobody in the NBA who takes better care of their body, but he still hedged his bet.

“We’ll see, I really don’t know. You never know, but I want to play as long as I’m capable…” Nash said. “Hopefully next year I can play the same way.”

That way would be about as well as he has ever played on offense, even with little talent around him.

1. cowboyscanada - Feb 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I would like to see Nash in a Lakers uniform.

• jedifriedchicken - Feb 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

2. losangelasbasketball - Feb 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

How much Damage could nash do with two 7 footers like gasol and bynum?

3. sunsation3413 - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Dream on Laker fans…

4. gmsalpha - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Why not the Lakers? I mean, as a free agent, he could play for the veteran’s minimum, right? Follow in the footsteps of guys like Karl Malone and Gary Payton.
    He’s also one of the few guys who could keep Dwight Howard in Orlando, although I don’t know how long of a deal Howard would sign, knowing Nash only has a few good years left, if that.

I’m not up to speed on how the Mavericks are constructed, but wouldn’t it be something to see Steve Nash back on the Mavericks? That would probably work against their goal of getting Deron Williams, but it’d be cool to see him back with Dirk like old times.

5. nauhurdler - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Kobe screwed the chance of that happening by being bitter and a baby saying that he hates the Suns and Nash. Nash has class, enjoys playing with players with class I.E. Grant Hill and Dudley, he won’t be going to LA to play with psychos like Kobe and Metta

6. nauhurdler - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Plus as he has stated so much, he loves this franchise and fans and knows that a move to LA would taint his image in the Valley of the Sun

7. mayhemmatt300 - Feb 25, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Nash to the HEAT!!!

8. cantonbound13 - Feb 25, 2012 at 6:05 AM

NY would be a perfect fit. He lives in NY. Nobody runs D’Antonis system as flawlessly as him. He wouldn’t have to play 40 plus minutes because Lin can split time with him. Since he doesn’t have to play many minutes, he can extend his career another couple of years. He would most likely win at least 1 championship there.

9. losangelasbasketball - Feb 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM

You aint splitting steve nash and Robert sarver up… Just like kobe and the buss family.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches