Feb 24, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
After this All-Star Weekend the trade rumors are going to really start to ramp up as we head to the March 15 deadline.
Steve Nash’s name will come up. A lot. Because just about every team could use an elite point guard.
But when asked about it Friday, Nash did the same dance he has done with the Suns for years — he says he’s not going to ask for a trade, they say they’re not going to trade him if he doesn’t ask. His contract expires at the end of this season and he plans to test the free agent market (although he certainly will consider re-signing with Phoenix).
“I’m happy where I am. I’m happy with the organization and my teammates,” Nash said. “At the same time I would understand if the team wanted to make a move. I’m completely open. To be honest we don’t talk about that stuff I just try to prepare to play the game as well as I can.”
That said, he seems intrigued by the idea of being courted as a free agent.
“It’ll be an interesting period for me if only because I never really been through it,” Nash said. “I want to be a champion and play on the best possible team but there’s also other factors. What’s the best fit for me, environment and financial considerations.”
The other question for the teams that court Nash — how long can a point guard who turns 38 next year play? He talked a couple times about two or three years, and there is nobody in the NBA who takes better care of their body, but he still hedged his bet.
“We’ll see, I really don’t know. You never know, but I want to play as long as I’m capable…” Nash said. “Hopefully next year I can play the same way.”
That way would be about as well as he has ever played on offense, even with little talent around him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18