Feb 24, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
After this All-Star Weekend the trade rumors are going to really start to ramp up as we head to the March 15 deadline.
Steve Nash’s name will come up. A lot. Because just about every team could use an elite point guard.
But when asked about it Friday, Nash did the same dance he has done with the Suns for years — he says he’s not going to ask for a trade, they say they’re not going to trade him if he doesn’t ask. His contract expires at the end of this season and he plans to test the free agent market (although he certainly will consider re-signing with Phoenix).
“I’m happy where I am. I’m happy with the organization and my teammates,” Nash said. “At the same time I would understand if the team wanted to make a move. I’m completely open. To be honest we don’t talk about that stuff I just try to prepare to play the game as well as I can.”
That said, he seems intrigued by the idea of being courted as a free agent.
“It’ll be an interesting period for me if only because I never really been through it,” Nash said. “I want to be a champion and play on the best possible team but there’s also other factors. What’s the best fit for me, environment and financial considerations.”
The other question for the teams that court Nash — how long can a point guard who turns 38 next year play? He talked a couple times about two or three years, and there is nobody in the NBA who takes better care of their body, but he still hedged his bet.
“We’ll see, I really don’t know. You never know, but I want to play as long as I’m capable…” Nash said. “Hopefully next year I can play the same way.”
That way would be about as well as he has ever played on offense, even with little talent around him.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32