Feb 24, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
I expected this about as much as I expect a “Hangover 2″ to win the Best Picture Oscar.
Rasheed Wallace is close to signing with the Los Angeles Lakers, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
His return to action has been rumored for weeks, fueled by a decent showing at Pro-Am tournament in North Carolina this summer…’’
It only became heightened by, according to league sources, a renewed conditioning regimen that apparently has him looking better than he has “in years.”
When last we saw ‘Sheed he was probably the Celtics’ best player when they lost Game 7 of the 2010 NBA finals to the Lakers. That was the series where Kendrick Perkins blew out his knee and Wallace, forced into extra minutes, performed well.
The Lakers could use depth along the front line. They let Lamar Odom go to Dallas for just a trade exception and brought in Josh McRoberts, who has seen his shot attempts go down and his turnovers go up as he has struggled to fit into the Lakers offense.
It’s unclear how much Wallace as left in the tank, his last season he gave the Celtics 9 points per game in 22.5 minutes, shooting a good 53.4 percent. His three point shot had deserted him that season, but he still was a solid big man. The Lakers could get that.
But Metta World Peace and Wallace in he same locker room? That could get interesting.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 0
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17