Feb 24, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
I expected this about as much as I expect a “Hangover 2″ to win the Best Picture Oscar.
Rasheed Wallace is close to signing with the Los Angeles Lakers, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
His return to action has been rumored for weeks, fueled by a decent showing at Pro-Am tournament in North Carolina this summer…’’
It only became heightened by, according to league sources, a renewed conditioning regimen that apparently has him looking better than he has “in years.”
When last we saw ‘Sheed he was probably the Celtics’ best player when they lost Game 7 of the 2010 NBA finals to the Lakers. That was the series where Kendrick Perkins blew out his knee and Wallace, forced into extra minutes, performed well.
The Lakers could use depth along the front line. They let Lamar Odom go to Dallas for just a trade exception and brought in Josh McRoberts, who has seen his shot attempts go down and his turnovers go up as he has struggled to fit into the Lakers offense.
It’s unclear how much Wallace as left in the tank, his last season he gave the Celtics 9 points per game in 22.5 minutes, shooting a good 53.4 percent. His three point shot had deserted him that season, but he still was a solid big man. The Lakers could get that.
But Metta World Peace and Wallace in he same locker room? That could get interesting.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 12
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 14
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 24
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18