Jeremy Lin talks D’Antoni system, overcoming bias

Feb 24, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT

BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Getty Images

The Mavericks’ Jason Terry said what a number of people — a decreasing number every day, but they are out there — have said about Jeremy Lin:

He is a system guy. Mike D’Antoni’s offensive system is designed to give the point guard numbers, and Lin is a product of it more than anything else.

“I know there’s a theory that it’s just a perfect system for me and so – I agree, it’s a perfect system for me,” Lin said before the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, part of the Friday night festivities of All-Star Weekend. “And I’m truly thankful that I play for Coach D’Antoni because he really is an offensive genius, the way he designed the system. So it’s very suitable for me, and I mean, I guess somewhere down the road if I play in another system, we’ll be able to answer better that question of can I play in another system. But right now I’m just focused on where I’m at.”

Unless you are a talent like LeBron James or Derrick Rose, the system you play in matters a lot — does it ask you to play to your strengths. Lin is a perfect fit for the pick-and-roll heavy Knicks.

But nobody has taken advantage of a system and an opportunity like Lin.

He also was asked about if there was a bias against him — he got no college scholarship offers out of high school, he was undrafted — because he is Asian-American.

“I think it has something to do with it,” Lin said. “I don’t know how much…. I know a lot of people say I’m deceptively athletic and deceptively quick, and I’m not sure what’s deceptive about it. But it could be the fact I’m Asian-American.

“But I think that’s fine. It’s something that I embrace, and it gives me a chip on my shoulder. But I’m very proud to be Asian-American, and I love it.”

By the way, the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert getting hurt and having to pull out of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest cost us a show. Remember, when Lin first came to the Knicks and was not sure if he would stick, he slept on teammate Landry Fields’ couch for a while.

“We actually had a sweet idea,” Lin said. “ Iman came up (with it). Landry was going to roll out a couch with a cover over it, and was going to be sleeping underneath it, and then we were going to pull the cover, I was going to throw to Iman an ally-oop from the couch, and he was going to jump over both me and the couch, windmill it and then sit down and have Landry hand him a Sprite.”

That might have won it.

Latest Posts
  1. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

2. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

3. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

4. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

5. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

6. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

7. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

8. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

9. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

10. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

11. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

12. Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’

Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game 1 Getty Images

Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.

13. No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble.

Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets

The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.

14. Report: UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn to enter NBA draft; Vaughn denies it

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT

San Jose State v UNLV Getty Images

He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches