Jeremy Lin talks D’Antoni system, overcoming bias

Feb 24, 2012, 9:27 PM EST

BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Getty Images

The Mavericks’ Jason Terry said what a number of people — a decreasing number every day, but they are out there — have said about Jeremy Lin:

He is a system guy. Mike D’Antoni’s offensive system is designed to give the point guard numbers, and Lin is a product of it more than anything else.

“I know there’s a theory that it’s just a perfect system for me and so – I agree, it’s a perfect system for me,” Lin said before the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, part of the Friday night festivities of All-Star Weekend. “And I’m truly thankful that I play for Coach D’Antoni because he really is an offensive genius, the way he designed the system. So it’s very suitable for me, and I mean, I guess somewhere down the road if I play in another system, we’ll be able to answer better that question of can I play in another system. But right now I’m just focused on where I’m at.”

Unless you are a talent like LeBron James or Derrick Rose, the system you play in matters a lot — does it ask you to play to your strengths. Lin is a perfect fit for the pick-and-roll heavy Knicks.

But nobody has taken advantage of a system and an opportunity like Lin.

He also was asked about if there was a bias against him — he got no college scholarship offers out of high school, he was undrafted — because he is Asian-American.

“I think it has something to do with it,” Lin said. “I don’t know how much…. I know a lot of people say I’m deceptively athletic and deceptively quick, and I’m not sure what’s deceptive about it. But it could be the fact I’m Asian-American.

“But I think that’s fine. It’s something that I embrace, and it gives me a chip on my shoulder. But I’m very proud to be Asian-American, and I love it.”

By the way, the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert getting hurt and having to pull out of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest cost us a show. Remember, when Lin first came to the Knicks and was not sure if he would stick, he slept on teammate Landry Fields’ couch for a while.

“We actually had a sweet idea,” Lin said. “ Iman came up (with it). Landry was going to roll out a couch with a cover over it, and was going to be sleeping underneath it, and then we were going to pull the cover, I was going to throw to Iman an ally-oop from the couch, and he was going to jump over both me and the couch, windmill it and then sit down and have Landry hand him a Sprite.”

That might have won it.

1. inthearex - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Love this kid.

2. losangelasbasketball - Feb 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

How much confidence does dantoni have to leave lin in a game 7 playoff game against theheat with 5 minutes to go? New york needs to get a legit pg and let lin come off the bench… A scary thought…. Dwill, jr smith, mello, amare, chandler

• mafiacop - Feb 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Lin bought dantoni a contract extension cause ownership will never ditch Lin and all he has to do is play Lin to keep his job..so confidence in him or n

• losangelasbasketball - Feb 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Good for dantoni, i stand by my position. Lin Would be a better fit for new york if he played as a spark coming off the bench. Not backing up bdub cuz his back is done. Imagine lin coming off the bench for steve nash?

• anhdazman - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

There is an “I” in Lin, but you’re not going to find a more team oriented PG in the NBA. Lin knows his limitation. Lin realize he can never be a PG like Rose, Westbrook or CP3, all he can do is be Jeremy Lin who plays for the NY Knicks.
      Lin has helped the Knicks get back into playoff contention. With Melo, JR Smith and Baron Davis coming back into the mix, it’s just going to elevate this team once they hit on all cylinders. You can’t just judge Lin overall play in his 1st three weeks, and you can’t judge him after the Heat’s game.
      Give the guy a fair chance. People will know where he fits in after the season. But people must realize this is his 2nd year, 1 year with any real playing time. He’s going to get better…

• losangelasbasketball - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Your an armchair fan…You probably never attended a knick game in your life… You are basically begging his more skilled team mates to carry him…it doesnt work the same way in basketball, you cant have a tim tebow in your starting 5 in basketball and expect to get anywhere deep in the playoffs.

• losangelasbasketball - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM

3. mafiacop - Feb 25, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Is playing so he will learn on the job and get much better and improve … And that starting lineup u dreaming bout can’t happen With the cap

4. metalhead65 - Feb 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I love the kid and his story but why must we have the race card tossed in to it? maybe he did not get a scholarship because coaches just did not think he could play at the next level. and while did did good in college it was still harvard and ivy league schools are not known for elite b.b. talent. he had to find the right system to show his skills and has with the knicks,I am pretty sure the warriors would never had let him go if he had flashed the skills he has in their system. not saying he has not faced racisim but to imply it has played a part in his lack of recognition before now is wrong.

• savvybynature - Feb 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

So you admit he has probably faced racism but the thing you find morally “wrong” with the whole situation is that he talked openly about it and acknowledged it? Gotcha. That makes total sense.

• metalhead65 - Feb 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

no what I admit is that he has probably faced racisim in the form of taunts from fans but to say he strtuggled to make it in the nba because of his race is a big stretch.as I said if he had displayed his talent in the golden state or houston systems they never would have let him go. same thing coming out of high school.if he had shown coaches he had the ability he does now he could have been purple and stll gotten a scholarship.

5. omniusprime - Feb 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I’m sick and tired of the ignorant sports pundits and media making much ado about nothing, namely this Lin Clown. He’s nothing but a garbage player with no real skills, he should stick to his daytime job of being an economist. Lin-ept had a few good games because no one thought to guard him for a few games considering his pathetic play before. Sickening that Ben and Jerry would waste a flavor on this pathetic excuse of an NBA player, I hope they lose their shirts on it. Better that they make a Black Mamba ice cream flavor, at least that would honor a truly great NBA player and would sell like hot cakes.

Lin-ept is as pathetic as the fools who go nutty over him!

• limonadamas - Feb 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Comments like these give Laker (and Kobe) fans a bad name… Just stop. You’re not helping your cause.

Hypothetically, if Lin goes on to average 14 and 7 and help the Knicks make noise in the playoffs, would that be “pathetic”? Have some perspective. It might do you some good.

6. dysraw1 - Feb 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lin likes his coach, ok i am not mad at him but a lot of the things that occurred while he as been in charge still stick in my craw about this guy. lets just say his dedication to winning is less than my expectations.

7. areyesrn - Feb 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I want to see that dunk

8. bknowledge - Feb 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Nobody can average like 20 points and 10 assists for a winning team without being a very good player…

Chris Duhon
    Nate Robinson
    Raymond Felton
    Chauncey Billups
    Toney Douglas
    Iman Shumpert

Those are the last 6 pg for D’Antoni/Knicks…none of those guys put up Lin’s numbers or won like Lin…

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches