Feb 24, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT
He is a system guy. Mike D’Antoni’s offensive system is designed to give the point guard numbers, and Lin is a product of it more than anything else.
“I know there’s a theory that it’s just a perfect system for me and so – I agree, it’s a perfect system for me,” Lin said before the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, part of the Friday night festivities of All-Star Weekend. “And I’m truly thankful that I play for Coach D’Antoni because he really is an offensive genius, the way he designed the system. So it’s very suitable for me, and I mean, I guess somewhere down the road if I play in another system, we’ll be able to answer better that question of can I play in another system. But right now I’m just focused on where I’m at.”
But nobody has taken advantage of a system and an opportunity like Lin.
He also was asked about if there was a bias against him — he got no college scholarship offers out of high school, he was undrafted — because he is Asian-American.
“I think it has something to do with it,” Lin said. “I don’t know how much…. I know a lot of people say I’m deceptively athletic and deceptively quick, and I’m not sure what’s deceptive about it. But it could be the fact I’m Asian-American.
“But I think that’s fine. It’s something that I embrace, and it gives me a chip on my shoulder. But I’m very proud to be Asian-American, and I love it.”
By the way, the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert getting hurt and having to pull out of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest cost us a show. Remember, when Lin first came to the Knicks and was not sure if he would stick, he slept on teammate Landry Fields’ couch for a while.
“We actually had a sweet idea,” Lin said. “ Iman came up (with it). Landry was going to roll out a couch with a cover over it, and was going to be sleeping underneath it, and then we were going to pull the cover, I was going to throw to Iman an ally-oop from the couch, and he was going to jump over both me and the couch, windmill it and then sit down and have Landry hand him a Sprite.”
That might have won it.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 42
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?