Feb 24, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
Blake Griffin won last year’s dunk contest in an exciting and memorable way that most think will be difficult to top by any of the contestants participating in the event this year. Jumping over a car isn’t something we see every day, and last year, JaVale McGee said he had no shot to top it unless he jumped over an airplane next.
This year’s group of relative unknowns — Paul George, Jeremy Evans, Derrick Williams, and Chase Budinger — are going to have a tough time keeping the event interesting if they don’t bring some serious creativity to the Amway Center on Saturday night.
We caught up with Griffin Friday morning at the Rising Stars Challenge practice, where he had some advice for the contestants, commented on Jeremy Lin (that’s going to be a theme this weekend, unfortunately), and let us know what his favorite hoops movie is (again, All-Star weekend is a media free-for-all, so lots of “wacky” questions).
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 10
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 57
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14