Feb 23, 2012, 2:26 PM EDT
In an annual tradition like Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination, the Monta Ellis trade rumors have started to swirl.
Golden State likes Monta Ellis for all the same reasons you covet him for your team — there are few better pure scorers in the league. At the end of the day, putting ball in the hole wins games. He can do that.
Golden State will consider trading him for one of the games elite superstars, but short of that you’re out of luck. And superstars are not exactly involved in the offers the Warriors got around the last draft, such as this one from the Timberwolves, reports Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.
According to multiple league sources, the two teams had a loose outline of a proposal–neither team had agreed to anything, but this was the basic heart of the talks:
The sources say the Warriors didn’t flat out say no to Minnesota, but wanted more.
* The GSWs apparently asked to expand the deal to include the Timberwolves’ No. 1 pick in last year’s draft, which was 2nd overall and turned out to be Derrick Williams.
No deal. This is sort of like the Lakers with Pau Gasol — sure, they’ll move him if Chris Paul is coming back but not if it’s Derrick Williams, or even Carlos Boozer. Basically, you’re not going to rip them off.
The Warriors need some roster changes — turns out just the presence of Mark Jackson does not transform talent — but they have something of value in Ellis. And they know it. If you want him you’re going to have to blow them away.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18