Feb 23, 2012, 2:26 PM EST
In an annual tradition like Meryl Streep getting an Oscar nomination, the Monta Ellis trade rumors have started to swirl.
Golden State likes Monta Ellis for all the same reasons you covet him for your team — there are few better pure scorers in the league. At the end of the day, putting ball in the hole wins games. He can do that.
Golden State will consider trading him for one of the games elite superstars, but short of that you’re out of luck. And superstars are not exactly involved in the offers the Warriors got around the last draft, such as this one from the Timberwolves, reports Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.
According to multiple league sources, the two teams had a loose outline of a proposal–neither team had agreed to anything, but this was the basic heart of the talks:
The sources say the Warriors didn’t flat out say no to Minnesota, but wanted more.
* The GSWs apparently asked to expand the deal to include the Timberwolves’ No. 1 pick in last year’s draft, which was 2nd overall and turned out to be Derrick Williams.
No deal. This is sort of like the Lakers with Pau Gasol — sure, they’ll move him if Chris Paul is coming back but not if it’s Derrick Williams, or even Carlos Boozer. Basically, you’re not going to rip them off.
The Warriors need some roster changes — turns out just the presence of Mark Jackson does not transform talent — but they have something of value in Ellis. And they know it. If you want him you’re going to have to blow them away.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30