Feb 23, 2012, 4:12 PM EDT
There are similarities between NFL crossover sensation Tim Tebow and NBA crossover sensation Jeremy Lin: Both had to overcome a number of detractors in the sport, both are devoutly and publicly Christian, both have had success on the field/court, both have had an explosion in popularity.
“They’ve spoken over the telephone. Jeremy’s been a fan of Tebow’s for a while, but only recently were they able to connect,” says Tam of Lin, who’s followed Tebow since his quarterback days on the national champion University of Florida football team.
“His comment to me was that Tim is a really great guy and that he’s very inspired by him,” adds Tam.
There are a lot of differences between the Tebow story and the Lin story as well. Unlike Lin, Tebow did not come out of nowhere — he is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever, the questions around him were about his game translating to the NFL level. Lin has been overlooked since high school. Plus there is Lin’s standing among the Asian-American community that is different.
As many others have said, to me Kurt Warner — grocery store bagger to Super Bowl champion quarterback — is a more apt parallel for Lin. But if Lin and Tebow connect and hit it off, good for them. They can go out and grab a few drinks together and… yea, probably not.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18