Feb 23, 2012, 4:12 PM EDT
There are similarities between NFL crossover sensation Tim Tebow and NBA crossover sensation Jeremy Lin: Both had to overcome a number of detractors in the sport, both are devoutly and publicly Christian, both have had success on the field/court, both have had an explosion in popularity.
“They’ve spoken over the telephone. Jeremy’s been a fan of Tebow’s for a while, but only recently were they able to connect,” says Tam of Lin, who’s followed Tebow since his quarterback days on the national champion University of Florida football team.
“His comment to me was that Tim is a really great guy and that he’s very inspired by him,” adds Tam.
There are a lot of differences between the Tebow story and the Lin story as well. Unlike Lin, Tebow did not come out of nowhere — he is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever, the questions around him were about his game translating to the NFL level. Lin has been overlooked since high school. Plus there is Lin’s standing among the Asian-American community that is different.
As many others have said, to me Kurt Warner — grocery store bagger to Super Bowl champion quarterback — is a more apt parallel for Lin. But if Lin and Tebow connect and hit it off, good for them. They can go out and grab a few drinks together and… yea, probably not.
- Klay Thompson should not have been allowed to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 0
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 12
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 12
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 73