Feb 23, 2012, 4:12 PM EST
There are similarities between NFL crossover sensation Tim Tebow and NBA crossover sensation Jeremy Lin: Both had to overcome a number of detractors in the sport, both are devoutly and publicly Christian, both have had success on the field/court, both have had an explosion in popularity.
“They’ve spoken over the telephone. Jeremy’s been a fan of Tebow’s for a while, but only recently were they able to connect,” says Tam of Lin, who’s followed Tebow since his quarterback days on the national champion University of Florida football team.
“His comment to me was that Tim is a really great guy and that he’s very inspired by him,” adds Tam.
There are a lot of differences between the Tebow story and the Lin story as well. Unlike Lin, Tebow did not come out of nowhere — he is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever, the questions around him were about his game translating to the NFL level. Lin has been overlooked since high school. Plus there is Lin’s standing among the Asian-American community that is different.
As many others have said, to me Kurt Warner — grocery store bagger to Super Bowl champion quarterback — is a more apt parallel for Lin. But if Lin and Tebow connect and hit it off, good for them. They can go out and grab a few drinks together and… yea, probably not.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 8
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 6
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 47
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45