Feb 23, 2012, 4:12 PM EDT
There are similarities between NFL crossover sensation Tim Tebow and NBA crossover sensation Jeremy Lin: Both had to overcome a number of detractors in the sport, both are devoutly and publicly Christian, both have had success on the field/court, both have had an explosion in popularity.
“They’ve spoken over the telephone. Jeremy’s been a fan of Tebow’s for a while, but only recently were they able to connect,” says Tam of Lin, who’s followed Tebow since his quarterback days on the national champion University of Florida football team.
“His comment to me was that Tim is a really great guy and that he’s very inspired by him,” adds Tam.
There are a lot of differences between the Tebow story and the Lin story as well. Unlike Lin, Tebow did not come out of nowhere — he is arguably the greatest college quarterback ever, the questions around him were about his game translating to the NFL level. Lin has been overlooked since high school. Plus there is Lin’s standing among the Asian-American community that is different.
As many others have said, to me Kurt Warner — grocery store bagger to Super Bowl champion quarterback — is a more apt parallel for Lin. But if Lin and Tebow connect and hit it off, good for them. They can go out and grab a few drinks together and… yea, probably not.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6