Feb 23, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Suns head coach Alvin Gentry was livid after Wednesday night’s loss to the Warriors, and with good reason. It had nothing to do with the fantastic game-winner that Monta Ellis knocked down with one second left, and everything to do with the way Phoenix sleep-walked through the game’s first 10 minutes.
The video above, taken by SBNationArizona, gives you an idea of the tone of the postgame presser, but picks up after Gentry had truly let his team have it.
“It’s unfair to the people, the fans in the stands,” Gentry said, as transcribed by SportingNews. “The way we approached the game sucked. And yeah, I said sucked. So what we do is exactly what I said we would do after the first timeout. We would dig ourselves a hole, and then we would have to play so hard to get back, it would be a perfect storm. And you know what? We end up defending the heck out of the guy at the end and he makes the shot and that’s not the difference in the game. The difference in the game was what happened in the first 10 minutes.
“I’m disgusted with the way we played. I’m disgusted with the fact that we had the chance to end the break with something really upbeat and positive and, instead, we just walked through the first (expletive) 10 minutes of the game.”
It was an unusually emotional tirade out of Gentry, but this Suns team has so little room for error that it might have been time for the players to hear it. Phoenix has just enough talent that if everyone individually plays focused basketball, especially defensively, they can compete with the majority of teams on most nights. When they don’t, they can get run out of their own gym and find themselves trailing by 17 points at the end of the first quarter — just as they did on Wednesday against the Warriors.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million