Feb 23, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
Suns head coach Alvin Gentry was livid after Wednesday night’s loss to the Warriors, and with good reason. It had nothing to do with the fantastic game-winner that Monta Ellis knocked down with one second left, and everything to do with the way Phoenix sleep-walked through the game’s first 10 minutes.
The video above, taken by SBNationArizona, gives you an idea of the tone of the postgame presser, but picks up after Gentry had truly let his team have it.
“It’s unfair to the people, the fans in the stands,” Gentry said, as transcribed by SportingNews. “The way we approached the game sucked. And yeah, I said sucked. So what we do is exactly what I said we would do after the first timeout. We would dig ourselves a hole, and then we would have to play so hard to get back, it would be a perfect storm. And you know what? We end up defending the heck out of the guy at the end and he makes the shot and that’s not the difference in the game. The difference in the game was what happened in the first 10 minutes.
“I’m disgusted with the way we played. I’m disgusted with the fact that we had the chance to end the break with something really upbeat and positive and, instead, we just walked through the first (expletive) 10 minutes of the game.”
It was an unusually emotional tirade out of Gentry, but this Suns team has so little room for error that it might have been time for the players to hear it. Phoenix has just enough talent that if everyone individually plays focused basketball, especially defensively, they can compete with the majority of teams on most nights. When they don’t, they can get run out of their own gym and find themselves trailing by 17 points at the end of the first quarter — just as they did on Wednesday against the Warriors.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4