Feb 22, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
J.R. Smith may finally have found someone who makes Stu Jackson and David Stern seem reasonable.
We knew Smith and his family had a couple incidents while playing in China during the lockout, apparently he missed some practices, too. About $1 million worth. You read that right, $1 million in fines.
According to a report published by NetEase, Smith had US $1.06 million deducted from his salary over the course of the season for missing practices. Most of the missed practices came during pre-season while his team, Zhejiang Chouzhou, was getting ready for the start of the regular season. The sum was deducted from his salary, a final number that represented about one-third of his total salary.
Zhejiang Chouzhou general manager, Zhao Bing, said that the team was simply enforcing a clause in Smith’s signed contract and that the team gave him ample warning throughout.
“This was the arrangement when he came to the team,” said Zhao. “Every practice we let him know. If he expressed to us that he wasn’t going to come to practice, we’d tell him that in accordance with our contract, we’re deducting money from your salary. And he’d always get back to us with, ‘Whatever. If you’re going to take it, then just take it.’”
Yea, that sounds like something Smith would say.
His salary was reportedly $3 million for the season, so he apparently took a 1/3 million haircut. That will buy a lot of fried scorpions on a stick.
You think J.R. may be happy to be back stateside playing in New York? I can’t believe he didn’t want to hang out and play in the Chinese All-Star Game.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4