Feb 22, 2012, 8:04 PM EDT
And the All-Star Three-Point Contest continues to have way more star power than the Dunk Contest….
Kevin Durant has been chosen to replace the Hawks Joe Johnson in the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest on All-Star Saturday night in Orlando, the league has announced. Johnson has tendonitis in his left knee and is resting it through the weekend (the Hawks will re-evaluate him next week, he has missed the last couple Atlanta games).
Durant is shooting a good 36.7 percent from three this year — a number you have to respect in game but is not what you usually see from winners of this event (40 percent plus). However, he can knock them down, and people will tune in to watch him because he’s a name.
Which is more than you can say for the dunk contest.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 19
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49