Feb 21, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
The Lakers need scoring, they need someone who can create his own shot not on the perimeter not named Kobe Bryant, they need depth.
And they are desperate enough to consider Michael Beasley.
(Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has) spoken to Minnesota about Michael Beasley, and sources say the Lakers are intrigued by the Timberwolves’ small forward. The Lakers were actually in discussions with Minnesota about a potential trade for Beasley before the season started. If they would have been able to pull off the deal for Chris Paul, there is a good chance that a trade for Beasley would have followed.
It’s not clear what the Lakers would give Minnesota for Beasley (if indeed the talks get that far), but the Lakers could absorb Beasley into their $8.9 million trade exception while giving up a draft pick or cash. I’m told the teams have not spoken about Pau Gasol since the preseason. Minnesota is looking to move Beasley, who they feel has matured very little (if at all) since he’s been there, according to sources. The Lakers believe they can handle a player like Beasley because of their winning culture and the leadership of Bryant.
Yes, because Kobe seems so happy lately.
And what kind of trouble could an immature guy — with a reputation as a guy who likes to smoke out now and again — get in around Los Angeles? Beasley, the former No. 2 overall pick, is unquestionably talented, but he has the Nuke LaLoosh reputation of the million dollar body and a five cent head.
Sure, these kind of casual conversations between teams happen all the time. Besides, what the Lakers really need is a point guard — Ramon Sessions, Jose Calderon, Kirk Hinrich or whoever else might become available is better than who they have now. And better than Gilbert Arenas.
But it’s hard to predict what moves the Lakers are going to make, logical or not, which all ties back to the questions about who is running the organization, and how. So we can’t rule Beasley out.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 34
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4