Feb 21, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
The Lakers need scoring, they need someone who can create his own shot not on the perimeter not named Kobe Bryant, they need depth.
And they are desperate enough to consider Michael Beasley.
(Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has) spoken to Minnesota about Michael Beasley, and sources say the Lakers are intrigued by the Timberwolves’ small forward. The Lakers were actually in discussions with Minnesota about a potential trade for Beasley before the season started. If they would have been able to pull off the deal for Chris Paul, there is a good chance that a trade for Beasley would have followed.
It’s not clear what the Lakers would give Minnesota for Beasley (if indeed the talks get that far), but the Lakers could absorb Beasley into their $8.9 million trade exception while giving up a draft pick or cash. I’m told the teams have not spoken about Pau Gasol since the preseason. Minnesota is looking to move Beasley, who they feel has matured very little (if at all) since he’s been there, according to sources. The Lakers believe they can handle a player like Beasley because of their winning culture and the leadership of Bryant.
Yes, because Kobe seems so happy lately.
And what kind of trouble could an immature guy — with a reputation as a guy who likes to smoke out now and again — get in around Los Angeles? Beasley, the former No. 2 overall pick, is unquestionably talented, but he has the Nuke LaLoosh reputation of the million dollar body and a five cent head.
Sure, these kind of casual conversations between teams happen all the time. Besides, what the Lakers really need is a point guard — Ramon Sessions, Jose Calderon, Kirk Hinrich or whoever else might become available is better than who they have now. And better than Gilbert Arenas.
But it’s hard to predict what moves the Lakers are going to make, logical or not, which all ties back to the questions about who is running the organization, and how. So we can’t rule Beasley out.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 0
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 2
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13