Feb 21, 2012, 10:57 AM EDT
The Lakers need scoring, they need someone who can create his own shot not on the perimeter not named Kobe Bryant, they need depth.
And they are desperate enough to consider Michael Beasley.
(Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has) spoken to Minnesota about Michael Beasley, and sources say the Lakers are intrigued by the Timberwolves’ small forward. The Lakers were actually in discussions with Minnesota about a potential trade for Beasley before the season started. If they would have been able to pull off the deal for Chris Paul, there is a good chance that a trade for Beasley would have followed.
It’s not clear what the Lakers would give Minnesota for Beasley (if indeed the talks get that far), but the Lakers could absorb Beasley into their $8.9 million trade exception while giving up a draft pick or cash. I’m told the teams have not spoken about Pau Gasol since the preseason. Minnesota is looking to move Beasley, who they feel has matured very little (if at all) since he’s been there, according to sources. The Lakers believe they can handle a player like Beasley because of their winning culture and the leadership of Bryant.
Yes, because Kobe seems so happy lately.
And what kind of trouble could an immature guy — with a reputation as a guy who likes to smoke out now and again — get in around Los Angeles? Beasley, the former No. 2 overall pick, is unquestionably talented, but he has the Nuke LaLoosh reputation of the million dollar body and a five cent head.
Sure, these kind of casual conversations between teams happen all the time. Besides, what the Lakers really need is a point guard — Ramon Sessions, Jose Calderon, Kirk Hinrich or whoever else might become available is better than who they have now. And better than Gilbert Arenas.
But it’s hard to predict what moves the Lakers are going to make, logical or not, which all ties back to the questions about who is running the organization, and how. So we can’t rule Beasley out.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18