Feb 21, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
So here’s your starting job, Mr. Crawford, enjoy trying to stop the hottest player in the league in Tony Parker.
But the move isn’t a surprise. Felton is shooting a career low 37.1 percent so far this season, 22.9 percent from three, his assists are at a career low while his turnovers are at a career high, his PER is 10.5 (that of of a third-string guard) and he helped lead the Trail Blazers to a franchise low 7 points in the first quarter against the Lakers Monday night. Portland is struggling, Felton is struggling and coach Nate McMillan decided to shake things up.
Doesn’t mean that Felton likes it, as he told CSNNW.com.
“He (Nate McMillan) called me this morning and told me we got to have consistency from that position and that a 7-point quarter was unacceptable,” Felton told CSNNW.com. “I’m not just going to blame myself for that first quarter. We’re a team. We win together, we lose together.”
Felton has said he felt persecuted for the Blazers poor play of late (5-7 in their last dozen) and that he doesn’t think McMillan trusts him.
He probably doesn’t. Felton’s play has not been trustworthy. This maybe a blip, an off couple months for Felton (who is normally a good point guard), but the fact of the matter is he has played his way out of this job.
Crawford is not perfect at the point, but he’s an upgrade right now and the Blazers need a change. Can’t blame McMillan for this move.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 6
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)