Feb 21, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT
So here’s your starting job, Mr. Crawford, enjoy trying to stop the hottest player in the league in Tony Parker.
But the move isn’t a surprise. Felton is shooting a career low 37.1 percent so far this season, 22.9 percent from three, his assists are at a career low while his turnovers are at a career high, his PER is 10.5 (that of of a third-string guard) and he helped lead the Trail Blazers to a franchise low 7 points in the first quarter against the Lakers Monday night. Portland is struggling, Felton is struggling and coach Nate McMillan decided to shake things up.
Doesn’t mean that Felton likes it, as he told CSNNW.com.
“He (Nate McMillan) called me this morning and told me we got to have consistency from that position and that a 7-point quarter was unacceptable,” Felton told CSNNW.com. “I’m not just going to blame myself for that first quarter. We’re a team. We win together, we lose together.”
Felton has said he felt persecuted for the Blazers poor play of late (5-7 in their last dozen) and that he doesn’t think McMillan trusts him.
He probably doesn’t. Felton’s play has not been trustworthy. This maybe a blip, an off couple months for Felton (who is normally a good point guard), but the fact of the matter is he has played his way out of this job.
Crawford is not perfect at the point, but he’s an upgrade right now and the Blazers need a change. Can’t blame McMillan for this move.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 3
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 22
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 78
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19