Feb 21, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Earlier today, we told you about an ESPN.com report from Chris Broussard which cited sources saying that Marvin Williams “wants out” of Atlanta, in hopes of playing for a team where he’ll have a bigger role offensively.
Williams himself has now denied that report directly, according to Hawks PR man Arthur Triche on Twitter.
The #Hawks just landed in NYC and had a convo with a very disappointed Marvin Williams, who while attending the funeral of a family friend, had to hear about his “reported” trade request. He vehemently denies ever asking for a trade and said, “you know that’s not me”.
It’s silly to try to refute a denial like this when it comes directly from the player’s mouth, but it’s worth noting that the information in the Broussard report and the statement by Williams that he never “asked for a trade” could very well both be 100 percent accurate.
The initial report painted Williams as being frustrated with his role, and said he wants out — but not that he ever asked to be traded. Williams clearly didn’t personally ask to be dealt, but how these things often work is that a player’s agent may go to the team to express his client’s unhappiness, and then hint at the possibility that if things don’t change, his client might not be interested in being here anymore.
The reality is that very few players actually ever ask to be traded; Carmelo Anthony a season ago was the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. It takes a top-tier talent in the final year of his contract to be able to do this successfully, and Williams doesn’t qualify in either category. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t unhappy, and that his agent didn’t let the team know about that on his behalf.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15