Feb 21, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Earlier today, we told you about an ESPN.com report from Chris Broussard which cited sources saying that Marvin Williams “wants out” of Atlanta, in hopes of playing for a team where he’ll have a bigger role offensively.
Williams himself has now denied that report directly, according to Hawks PR man Arthur Triche on Twitter.
The #Hawks just landed in NYC and had a convo with a very disappointed Marvin Williams, who while attending the funeral of a family friend, had to hear about his “reported” trade request. He vehemently denies ever asking for a trade and said, “you know that’s not me”.
It’s silly to try to refute a denial like this when it comes directly from the player’s mouth, but it’s worth noting that the information in the Broussard report and the statement by Williams that he never “asked for a trade” could very well both be 100 percent accurate.
The initial report painted Williams as being frustrated with his role, and said he wants out — but not that he ever asked to be traded. Williams clearly didn’t personally ask to be dealt, but how these things often work is that a player’s agent may go to the team to express his client’s unhappiness, and then hint at the possibility that if things don’t change, his client might not be interested in being here anymore.
The reality is that very few players actually ever ask to be traded; Carmelo Anthony a season ago was the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. It takes a top-tier talent in the final year of his contract to be able to do this successfully, and Williams doesn’t qualify in either category. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t unhappy, and that his agent didn’t let the team know about that on his behalf.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 11
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 11
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 32
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games