Feb 21, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This much we know for sure — the Atlanta Hawks will not have All-Star swingman Joe Johnson Wednesday against the Knicks or Thursday against the Magic. He has returned to Atlanta to get an MRI on his knee, the team announced.
The next question — will he play in the All-Star Game on Sunday? Johnson was selected as a reserve by the coaches.
If the MRI confirms the original Hawks’ doctor’s diagnosis of tendonitis, then rest — and missing the game — seems the likely outcome. If it’s something more severe he is out for sure. I guess what we’re saying is he seems like he may sit this one out.
If he is out, don’t be shocked if teammate Josh Smith is selected in his place. He and Rajon Rondo were two obvious snubs in the East, and the league likely wants to make sure the Hawks are represented, so Smith seems the likely call.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 37
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20