Feb 21, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Charles Oakley was on Jim Rome’s radio show today, and the former Bulls big man had some choice words for Kevin Garnett, Charles Barkley, and Kendrick Perkins. Here are the highlights, courtesy of Larry Brown Sports:
“Garnett left Minnesota and hollered and screamed and all that but hes not a tough guy,” Oakley said as Sports Talk Network shared with us. “He’s one of the weakest guys to ever play the game. He’s a complimentary player and went to Paul Pierce’s team and won a championship. I wouldn’t consider him a top 10 tough guy…
…“Barkley, for his size, was a good player but he’s a coward,” Oakley continued. “He was a good player for his size, but he wasn’t a leader and wasn’t a role model. Now he talks so bad about younger guys. I don’t respect that from him. He’s a fraud. He can criticize all the younger kids and if he got something to say, call them and talk to them before you just blast them. He’s wants to be funny, that whole TNT thing and all that, they’re like some clowns on that show”…
…Oakley wasn’t done there. He also said that Kendrick Perkins is similar to K.G. in that all he does is holler and complain, and that the Thunder would win championships if he would just play basketball. Oakley added that Perk’s attitude is the reason he got dunked on by Blake Griffin, and said throughout his 19-year career he only got dunked on three times. Somebody check the tape on that, please.
Oakley, who was named to both the All-Defense team and the All-Star team as a member of the famously physical New York Knicks in 1994, spent the 1st few years of his career as Michael Jordan’s teammate and unofficial “enforcer,” and Jordan was famously enraged when then-Bulls GM Jerry Krause traded Oakley for Bill Cartwright before the Bulls went on their historic title runs. By most accounts, Oakley and Jordan remain good friends, but it doesn’t look like he’s looking to make many new ones.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24