Feb 21, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Charles Oakley was on Jim Rome’s radio show today, and the former Bulls big man had some choice words for Kevin Garnett, Charles Barkley, and Kendrick Perkins. Here are the highlights, courtesy of Larry Brown Sports:
“Garnett left Minnesota and hollered and screamed and all that but hes not a tough guy,” Oakley said as Sports Talk Network shared with us. “He’s one of the weakest guys to ever play the game. He’s a complimentary player and went to Paul Pierce’s team and won a championship. I wouldn’t consider him a top 10 tough guy…
…“Barkley, for his size, was a good player but he’s a coward,” Oakley continued. “He was a good player for his size, but he wasn’t a leader and wasn’t a role model. Now he talks so bad about younger guys. I don’t respect that from him. He’s a fraud. He can criticize all the younger kids and if he got something to say, call them and talk to them before you just blast them. He’s wants to be funny, that whole TNT thing and all that, they’re like some clowns on that show”…
…Oakley wasn’t done there. He also said that Kendrick Perkins is similar to K.G. in that all he does is holler and complain, and that the Thunder would win championships if he would just play basketball. Oakley added that Perk’s attitude is the reason he got dunked on by Blake Griffin, and said throughout his 19-year career he only got dunked on three times. Somebody check the tape on that, please.
Oakley, who was named to both the All-Defense team and the All-Star team as a member of the famously physical New York Knicks in 1994, spent the 1st few years of his career as Michael Jordan’s teammate and unofficial “enforcer,” and Jordan was famously enraged when then-Bulls GM Jerry Krause traded Oakley for Bill Cartwright before the Bulls went on their historic title runs. By most accounts, Oakley and Jordan remain good friends, but it doesn’t look like he’s looking to make many new ones.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 7
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 12
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27