Feb 21, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
Linsanity started a couple weeks ago when Jeremy Lin came off the bench and out of nowhere to drop 25 on the New Jersey Nets.
Deron Williams read in the papers how he got “destroyed” by Lin. He got weeks of questions about Lin and how good he was. Williams quietly fumed.
Then Monday night he unleashed it on the Knicks, scoring 38 points and knocking down 8 threes. Lin had good numbers, but the Nets held his drives in check (and with it the Knicks offense) and New Jersey got the win.
Williams enjoyed that a lot, as he told the New York Daily News.
“So when somebody says they destroyed you, and you watch the tape and you don’t feel like you got destroyed, you circle those types of games,” Williams said….
“I don’t really watch SportsCenter, I don’t really watch too many games, but I do see Twitter. And every three lines was, ‘Jeremy Lin destroys Deron Williams’ in the first game. And like I said, I had it circled.”
The plan going in was to have Williams attack Lin.
“We told him, even this morning: ‘If you’ve got some looks at threes, just take ’em. We know you can make them, but just be aggressive,” (Nets coach) Avery Johnson said. “And if their point guard’s not on you, we’ll try to figure a way to get him back on you so you can attack.”
The tests for Lin and the Knicks get tougher this week. They get a solid Hawks team on Wednesday then the destroying-everything-in-their-path Heat on Thursday. And you can bet teams are going to start to attack Lin’s defense — both to test it and to wear him out a little making him work on both ends. He’s going to need Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and everyone else to pitch in more. And fast.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31