Feb 21, 2012, 1:42 PM EST
Linsanity started a couple weeks ago when Jeremy Lin came off the bench and out of nowhere to drop 25 on the New Jersey Nets.
Deron Williams read in the papers how he got “destroyed” by Lin. He got weeks of questions about Lin and how good he was. Williams quietly fumed.
Then Monday night he unleashed it on the Knicks, scoring 38 points and knocking down 8 threes. Lin had good numbers, but the Nets held his drives in check (and with it the Knicks offense) and New Jersey got the win.
Williams enjoyed that a lot, as he told the New York Daily News.
“So when somebody says they destroyed you, and you watch the tape and you don’t feel like you got destroyed, you circle those types of games,” Williams said….
“I don’t really watch SportsCenter, I don’t really watch too many games, but I do see Twitter. And every three lines was, ‘Jeremy Lin destroys Deron Williams’ in the first game. And like I said, I had it circled.”
The plan going in was to have Williams attack Lin.
“We told him, even this morning: ‘If you’ve got some looks at threes, just take ’em. We know you can make them, but just be aggressive,” (Nets coach) Avery Johnson said. “And if their point guard’s not on you, we’ll try to figure a way to get him back on you so you can attack.”
The tests for Lin and the Knicks get tougher this week. They get a solid Hawks team on Wednesday then the destroying-everything-in-their-path Heat on Thursday. And you can bet teams are going to start to attack Lin’s defense — both to test it and to wear him out a little making him work on both ends. He’s going to need Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and everyone else to pitch in more. And fast.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8