John Wall’s pretty mad about getting picked 12th for the rookies-sophomores game

Feb 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

John Wall carries so much expectation with him. Drafted out of the John Calipari school of top picks and elected to save the Wizads, Wall has every set of abilities you could want in a point guard. Except he hasn’t put those abilities consistently together yet. He plays too breakneck to the rim, he hasn’t been able to drag the rest of the knuckleheads on his team to efficiency, if such a thing were possible, and he’s struggled to make significant improvements. His assist rate is down, his turnovers are up, and hasn’t made a significant leap in any area (though his PER is significantly up). So he hasn’t been playing great. Oh, yeah, and in a related story, his team is downright awful.

As a result, he plummeted this week when Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal divied up the top rookies and sophomores for the Rising Stars challenge. And Wall is not happy about it. From the Washington Post:

“It’s a joke to me,” said Wall, who is averaging 16.9 points and 7.5 assists in his second season. “If they think there are 11 guys better than me, then that’s their decision. But I know what I think in my mind and all I can do is go out there and play basketball the way I know how to play.”

via John Wall on being 12th pick for Rising Star Challenge: “It’s a joke to me” – Wizards Insider – The Washington Post.

“I’m not upset, just let me tell you how much I do not respect this decision and how wrong it is. But again, don’t care.”

Wall did go low. But this wasn’t a serious process. There’s nothing riding on this game and most of the process is about star power. Right now, Wall’s star power is very low. He’s a much better player than Jeremy Lin, but Jeremy Lin is immensely popular right now and so was picked higher.

But you know what? Wall needed something like this. He’s gotten so much positive reinforcement over the past two years, he needs something as motivation. Now if he could just motivate his front office into moving Andray Blatche and getting some actual helpful offensive firepower around him, he might be getting somewhere. We’ll see how Wall responds to the slight.

1. AlohaMrHand - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

holy crap!Whining about where he gets picked for an exhibition game?Your real team is an absolute joke and this is what concerns you?

2. noirad - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Well, John Wall start leading your team to win’s.

• donbp87 - Feb 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Should he be playing better? Yes, but he is on probably the dumbest team I have ever seen! They are absolutely stupid. He can only lead people who want t.o be led

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

All I gotta say to the Wizards is thanks for giving us Ricky Rubio for 3 pieces of trash that isn’t on your team anymore. Ouch!

3. greatminnesotasportsmind - Feb 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Maybe be the opposite of Michael Beasley and maybe pass the ball to open teammate as opposed trying to make a 24 foot jump shot double teamed only to throw up a brick.

4. narrabeen23 - Feb 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

This is a joke…how dare they say I’m 12th best…but I don’t care.

Yet another passive-aggressive athlete. This is what happens when this generation’s role models are Dwight Howard and LeBron James.

Attention all aspiring athletes: If you want to have the heart of a champion, idolize and study Kobe and CP3 instead.

5. rob0527 - Feb 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Exactly get your team some wins. Somebody had to be picked 12th.

6. Gordon - Feb 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

He needs to change his tampon.

7. ogre2010 - Feb 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Keep working hard!!
    Signed,
    The Miami Big Three

8. ezwriter69 - Feb 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The absolute joke is the hype this never-has-been has gotten. All talk, no walk, so far. Better than Lin? Really? More physical talent, I’ll give you, but a better player? Not so far, not even close… I judge by what takes place on the court, and on the court, right now, Jeremy Lin is the better player, by far. Better shooter, better passer, better scorer, better defender. Better.
    Wall needs this objective dose of reality… so much adulation and fame without ever accomplishing anything, he honestly thinks he is an elite player, when he’s middle of the pack at best. Do something, and people will respect your game, but keep flapping your yap when you’ve achieved exactly nothing, and you just look like a fool.

9. fouldwimmerlaik - Feb 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Another star wanna-be with a bloated ego.

Why don’t you produce results first?

That’s the problem with over-paid KIDS these days… they get this false sense of entitlement.

• sixth31 - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

who’s the coach for the wizards again?

give wall a coach and system like D’Antonis’ and see what he would do…

• fouldwimmerlaik - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Perhaps. But isn’t it compelling when one notes that Lin carried the Knicks WHEN the resident superstars were out?

10. njsteeler - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I don’t think that he’s better then Jeremy Lin. He’s faster, but that’s it. Bout time people realize that Lin is the real deal. Lin shoots better, and from what I can see, runs a team better. I know Wall is on a horrible team, but he was the 1st overall pick, while Lin went undrafted. He might be a better passer too. Recognize…

11. 00maltliquor - Feb 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

If that’s what pisses him off then I hope he doesn’t go to NBA.com. I saw a poll last week that posed the question; who would you rather have lead your franchise…Ricky Rubio, Jemery Lin, Kyrie Irving or John Wall….John Wall came in dead last at like 3% or something crazy like that!

12. fouldwimmerlaik - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Where I come from, if you truly want to be recognized, you have to produce results that are uplifting for the organization. You just don’t expect to be fully recognized and appreciated just because YOU think so. Another thing, humility is so rare among these kids that is why Jeremy Lin’s humble demeanor is so refreshing.

13. edavidberg - Feb 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I would rather have Lin than Wall at this point and its not close. I know he’s playing for a franchise that is teaching him the wrong things to do but I would not trade Lin for Wall for a minute.

14. doctorfootball - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Sorry, Mr. Matt Moore, but Jeremy Lin runs circles around John Wall.

15. rooney24 - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM

With that attitude, maybe he should have been picked even later. He will now likely go into the game just trying to score himself, rather than distributing to his teammates. He won’t be able to whine about lack of talent in that game. He should be able to go into that game and make himself look good, but I have a sneaky feeling he will blow that as well.

16. anhdazman - Feb 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Someone needs to teach Wall that sometimes you must Fail before you succeed. Just ask Jeremy Lin.

17. schaffershokai - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

He needs to clean up his game before he has a right to whine in public. Otherwise, he can look forward to doing this: http://rat-mantheseries.com/episodes.html

18. dexterismyhero - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Overhyped little kid. Just like the overhyped big kid Demarcus Cousins.

Whiny little kids…….

19. johnnyobeid - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ok, so you all are saying the Wizards are jokes, but the bobcats are 4-27 and Kemba Walker got picked before him…? Ok, so stop talking shit about the Wizards! We AREN’T the worst team in the NBA John Wall is better than ALL these bums

20. max20characters - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM

It makes sense when you were the #1 pick in a recent draft and you struggle to get your team over 10 wins.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches