Feb 18, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
Remember when our Blogger-in-Chief Kurt Helin was like:
LeBron is going to be a member of the Heat for years. He can’t predict what will be happening in his life and the NBA five years from now no more than you or me or anyone else can. So he tried to leave a door open.
Can we move on now?
Yeah, no, we can’t move on, now. After LeBron James said earlier in the week he’d be open to an eventual return to the Cavs, a report surfaced from Yahoo! Sports that James tried contacting Dan Gilbert to try and mend some fences. Later Friday, James shut down that talk on record:
James didn’t deny he was happy to hear potential for a warm reception from the fans who once cheered for him.
He did, however, deny a Yahoo! Sports report earlier in the day that said his camp has reached out to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert to express interest in someday returning to Cleveland.
“That’s not true,” James said. “Not true at all.”
James deftly avoided two questions about whether he wanted to repair his fractured relationship with Gilbert.
But he did find a way to express his appreciation for the Cleveland fans he still, clearly, wants to win over.
So now a one-day story is a three-day story and it may go further. Whee! Just when the spotlight had left James for a second with Jeremy Lin, he makes sure to get it back.
If you want to have fun with this story, try and track down the agendas of those involved. Because very side in this has a very specific set of motivations driving it.
So to recap, James would be open to playing for the Cavs again, but has not reached out to Dan Gilbert who has openly bashed him and who James has said he’s not OK with in the past. He’s not going to leave Miami any time soon, but left the door open just in case.
I keep thinking there will eventually be an end to the Decision news cycle. And I’m always wrong. It’s going to exist forever. Even after he retires, we’ll be talking and writing about its effects.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13