Feb 18, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
Remember when our Blogger-in-Chief Kurt Helin was like:
LeBron is going to be a member of the Heat for years. He can’t predict what will be happening in his life and the NBA five years from now no more than you or me or anyone else can. So he tried to leave a door open.
Can we move on now?
Yeah, no, we can’t move on, now. After LeBron James said earlier in the week he’d be open to an eventual return to the Cavs, a report surfaced from Yahoo! Sports that James tried contacting Dan Gilbert to try and mend some fences. Later Friday, James shut down that talk on record:
James didn’t deny he was happy to hear potential for a warm reception from the fans who once cheered for him.
He did, however, deny a Yahoo! Sports report earlier in the day that said his camp has reached out to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert to express interest in someday returning to Cleveland.
“That’s not true,” James said. “Not true at all.”
James deftly avoided two questions about whether he wanted to repair his fractured relationship with Gilbert.
But he did find a way to express his appreciation for the Cleveland fans he still, clearly, wants to win over.
So now a one-day story is a three-day story and it may go further. Whee! Just when the spotlight had left James for a second with Jeremy Lin, he makes sure to get it back.
If you want to have fun with this story, try and track down the agendas of those involved. Because very side in this has a very specific set of motivations driving it.
So to recap, James would be open to playing for the Cavs again, but has not reached out to Dan Gilbert who has openly bashed him and who James has said he’s not OK with in the past. He’s not going to leave Miami any time soon, but left the door open just in case.
I keep thinking there will eventually be an end to the Decision news cycle. And I’m always wrong. It’s going to exist forever. Even after he retires, we’ll be talking and writing about its effects.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 38
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20