Feb 18, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Jeremy Lin has been at the forefront of the positive things to help lead the NBA out of lockout hell. And it turns out, he could be at the forefront of what winds up leading us back into it in six to ten years. Billy Hunter recently told Bloomberg that Lin is likely to wind up as the player’s representative to the NBPA and could get a spot on the executive committee. From Bloomberg:
Jeremy Lin probably will be the next player representative for the New York Knicks and might win a spot on the union’s executive committee, the head of the National Basketball Association players union said.
Billy Hunter said Lin, the second-year point guard with an economics degree from Harvard University who has led the Knicks on a seven-game winning streak and sparked what’s become dubbed “Linsanity,” expressed an interest to be more involved in the National Basketball Players Association.“
At the least he’d be the player representative for the Knicks,” Hunter said in a telephone interview. “If not something higher.”
See, because he’s wicked smaht.
I’m torn on this one, because at one level, Lin shouldn’t have to be treated any differently from any other NBA player just because he happens to have a higher IQ or series of test scores than the average player, nor should his expectations for being some sort of genius exist just because he went to Harvard. Lots of people went to Harvard. (I did not go to Harvard. They would not let me go to Harvard.)
But on the other, Lin’s sudden explosion is affording him opportunities, and let’s face it, the more brains the NBPA can get on the exec committee the better. Which isn’t to say the committee isn’t comprised of smart individuals, “How U” to the contrary. But they did run out of options and inventive solutions during the beatdown throughout the lockout (though, all things considered, they came out pretty well. This is complicated. And giving me flashbacks. I hate you, lockout.)
It’s another opportunity Lin is playing his way into. Which is nice for him, really.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13