Feb 17, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
After Stephen Jackson was benched for the second half of a game against Denver Jan. 17, I asked the Bucks veteran swingman whether he had any inkling Bucks coach Scott Skiles was going to do that.
Jackson said he didn’t get any advance warning and he didn’t get any explanation after the game, either.
It was abundantly clear even then that Jackson, whom the Bucks acquired from Charlotte last June and was expected to be a key piece to the Bucks’ puzzle this season, wasn’t on the same page with Skiles.
Now, a month later, Jackson’s relationship with Skiles seemingly has disintegrated. In an interview with Rod Burks of Channel 4 (NBC) in Milwaukee, Jackson said: “We don’t have no relationship like I’ve had with other coaches and I don’t expect to have one. Too much stuff has happened.”
Woelful goes on to say that the Bucks would love to unload Jackson, but Jackson’s advanced age, high salary, and low productivity could make that a challenge. Still, the Bucks could send away a talented young player, such as Irsan Ilyasova or even Brandon Jennings, as part of a package deal that would allow the Bucks to unload Jackson, according to “some NBA officials.”
Jackson can create his own shot, pass well, is famously quite fond of pressure, and was a key part of the Golden State Warriors’ thrilling 2007 playoff run. Still, Jackson is 33 years old, and he hasn’t shot better than 42% from the field since the 06-07 campaign in Golden State. A playoff team might be willing to take a flyer on Jackson, but given his years of low efficiency and the baggage he’s currently carrying with him, Skiles and the Bucks might be stuck with Jackson for the foreseeable future.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 2
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 9
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 15
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35