Feb 17, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
After Stephen Jackson was benched for the second half of a game against Denver Jan. 17, I asked the Bucks veteran swingman whether he had any inkling Bucks coach Scott Skiles was going to do that.
Jackson said he didn’t get any advance warning and he didn’t get any explanation after the game, either.
It was abundantly clear even then that Jackson, whom the Bucks acquired from Charlotte last June and was expected to be a key piece to the Bucks’ puzzle this season, wasn’t on the same page with Skiles.
Now, a month later, Jackson’s relationship with Skiles seemingly has disintegrated. In an interview with Rod Burks of Channel 4 (NBC) in Milwaukee, Jackson said: “We don’t have no relationship like I’ve had with other coaches and I don’t expect to have one. Too much stuff has happened.”
Woelful goes on to say that the Bucks would love to unload Jackson, but Jackson’s advanced age, high salary, and low productivity could make that a challenge. Still, the Bucks could send away a talented young player, such as Irsan Ilyasova or even Brandon Jennings, as part of a package deal that would allow the Bucks to unload Jackson, according to “some NBA officials.”
Jackson can create his own shot, pass well, is famously quite fond of pressure, and was a key part of the Golden State Warriors’ thrilling 2007 playoff run. Still, Jackson is 33 years old, and he hasn’t shot better than 42% from the field since the 06-07 campaign in Golden State. A playoff team might be willing to take a flyer on Jackson, but given his years of low efficiency and the baggage he’s currently carrying with him, Skiles and the Bucks might be stuck with Jackson for the foreseeable future.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 9
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 5
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save