LeBron happy in Miami, was “truthful” about Cleveland

Feb 17, 2012, 1:44 PM EST

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

The day after LeBron James offered an olive branch to Cleveland and opened the door a little on his possible return to play for the Cavaliers someday, you knew there would be a day of follow up questions. Because it’s LeBron and Cleveland and perspective goes out the window when those two things meet.

LeBron did not back down from his statement that he could possibly someday return to play in Cleveland, but he reiterated that day is not going to be anytime soon.

Some Heat fans got worried, for reasons I frankly can’t understand, but LeBron had to tell them to calm down. Here’s the quote, via our man Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.

“Nah, they shouldn’t be worried at all,” he said. “I love the fans in Miami and I’m here. The question was basically could I see myself playing back here. I said, ‘yeah,’ in the sense of I don’t know what my future holds and I don’t want to take that out, but I mean I love the fans of Miami and I got everything invested with this team and I’m looking forward to the years to come.”

LeBron has gotten used to the fact that everything he says or does gets blown up.

“I mean I’m already on ‘LeBron Watch,’ ” he said with a smile. “For the most part, everything I do is a ‘LeBron Watch.’ Like I said, my mindset is on this season. My mindset is on helping this team win a championship and continuing to get better every day.”

LeBron is going to be a member of the Heat for years. He can’t predict what will be happening in his life and the NBA five years from now no more than you or me or anyone else can. So he tried to leave a door open.

Can we move on now?

1. smackingfools - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

He said everything but… “I love the fans and playing in Miami and I plan on finishing my career as a member of the Miami Heat”

2. blueintown - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I get that the litany of LeBron articles is less about actual basketball related content and more about driving traffic, but can you really in good conscience end this post with “can we move on now?”

• goforthanddie - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

He means move on from the hating, and to the idolatry he has. You know, because everyone should sniff leb’s jock and feel rewarded.

• blueintown - Feb 18, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It has nothing to do with positive or negative feelings regarding LeBron. “Can we move on now?” is a euphemism for “keep clicking, morons”. And we will. Because, let’s face it, we’re trolls.

3. thetooloftools - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Hey LeBron, Cleveland here. Let me make tis perfectly clear. You are not wanted here, we don’t want you here, and as long as Dan Gilbert ownes the team, you can wipe any return out of your mind. Your just trying to stir the pot, make amends to try and save your “brand” which is now worthlees, or both. I had no problem with you leaving, but what you did to us on the way out the door, the excuses you made about what Cleveland wasn’t doing for you, and the fact that you are just plain stupid for being lead around by the nose by your group of “Akron Idoit” high school chums tells me we don’t want you here. You burned this bridge and your not coming back. I don’t hate LeBron, I just have no respect for a child who was allowed to do whatever he wanted and then leave to go “play with my new boyz” and now wants to possibly come back? Player please. Your begging. You don’t do us like that and then we forget. “I will not rest until I bring a championship to Cleveland” isn’t the only lie you told here. We were forced to moved on when you walked out on us with parting shots too, but we haven’t fogotten.
    You’ll never play in Cleveland again… get used to it.
    You made the choice, live with it.

• kinggw - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

You truly are the tool of tools. Secondly, he doesn’t want to come back he was asked if he would ever entertain playing for Cleveland. Lastly, don’t you think its time for you bitter cavs fans to move on with your lives? Lbj gave that franchise seven good years, he doesn’t owe you, Gilbert, or Cleveland shit.

• redbullenergydrink - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Another bitter fan. And don’t say you’re not. Just read your rant.

• david8726 - Feb 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Are you aware of what NBA team you’re a fan of? You’re a Cavaliers fan. The Cavaliers are not the Lakers, the Celtics, the Bulls, or some other storied franchise in a big market that NBA players clamor to play for.

Therefore, I find it kind of funny that you write this post as if you’re laying down some terrible punishment by declaring that you’d never take LeBron back.

I think he’ll be just fine without you.

4. datcrazybok - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Yeah, cause that sacred, hallowed franchise the Cleveland Cavaliers have such a proud history without him.

I’m sure he’ll live with it just fine.

5. BrownsTown - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

“Can we move on now?”

I don’t know, can we? I believe this is the 2nd LeBron-Cleveland article on PBBT in the past 24 hours.

• southbeachtalent - Feb 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM

What can i say, MY team is always the center of attention.

LETS GO HEAT

• david8726 - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I’m a Heat fan too, but even I down voted you just now.

Don’t be obnoxious.

• gmsingh - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

More Erik Spoelstra articles, please.

6. mogogo1 - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Poor LeBron. The guy is just never going to get it. If he simply let his game do the talking, his image would be in much better shape. Instead, he always feels the need to talk. And that leads to still more talk so he can clarify the last thing he said. And it just goes on and on with him digging his holes deeper and deeper.

Dude, you burned your bridges in Cleveland. Just accept it and move on. Don’t slight your current city trying to undo the past. And don’t you still have the 8 titles to win for Miami like you promised? Was it really the time to be imagining where you might end your career?

• david8726 - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You realize that he’s talking because reporters are asking him questions, right?

These quotes from LeBron don’t come from him randomly going up to podiums and talking into a microphone when he feels like it.

NBA teams have media sessions, and reporters ask these guys questions to produce quotes like this that serve as fodder for newspapers, blogs like this one, and commentators like you.

He hasn’t said anything offensive. At this point, the guy is just trying to answer the questions while hopefully not pissing everyone off.

Unfortunately, some people are always going to find a reason to be offended by anything he says just because he’s LeBron.

7. tampajoey - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Just remember… “Every team that has ever won a championship has done it without Lebron James”

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Tampajoey!!!!! Watching every Heat game religiously. Hoping and praying for any small morsel of failure to fall on LeBron so that you can feel just a microfragment better about yourself. What happens to you when he wins his championship? You going to go Ray Finkle on us?

• tampajoey - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Hey my PBT Stalker… Thank God 1972 was a long time ago and you’ll be dead soon you annoying Lebron nut sucker.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Did you enjoy the game tonight?

• tampajoey - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM

As long as the Heat don’t win the championship I could care less what they do in the regular season. And we both know Lebron will choke in the playoffs again. Heat won’t even make it out of the East this year.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Wishing me dead? You ARE going to go Finkle on us, aren’t you?

• t16rich - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM

“dan marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. would you like a cookie son?” Ray Finkles Mother

• tampajoey - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I don’t wish you dead 1972, but time isn’t on your side.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So you know, it’s 1972wasalongtimeago because of the plight of Dolphins fans. Not my age.

8. goforthanddie - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

“opened the door a little on his possible return to play for the Cavaliers someday”

That makes it sound like CLE is begging him to come back and he’s allowing them the possibility he may grace them eventually. Which I’m sure is how it’s meant to sound, regardless how far from Factland it is.

9. t16rich - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Lebron had every right to sign with a new team. But for a guy who has done so much and apparantly cared so much for the state of Ohio, he certainly screwed them emotinally. He could have easily told Cavs ownership that he wasnt resigning the day before. Instead every Cavs fan and their mother tuned into “the decision” only to have the son of Ohio crush their spirits on national TV like a royal douche.

10. jollyjoker2 - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Lebron hired his image consultant and I am sure that person suggested to throw an olive branch to clevelend. Oh, I still LUB you. I mean, who wants to be hated in half the united states for trying to be successful on the easy way. That is, buy a championship. Hopefully, the fans get even more revolted and tell that piece of du ng to stick his offer.

• david8726 - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Am I the only one who finds it funny that everyone rages against the Heat for supposedly trying to “buy” a championship, but no one ever says a peep about how the Mavs had the second highest payroll in the league last year and the Lakers are always top 5 in payroll?

It’s only “wrong” to “buy a championship” when you hate that team, I guess.

• jollyjoker2 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Normally, the ownership should have taken the lead for trading and getting a good deal for the lebron…. in this case – lebron dissed his teamates and then said I only play with my homey’s– my way – not the guy who is employing him……
        thats crapp y for someone who just paid you a few million…. I tell ya, if he don’t win this year, he will be dissing miami. Count on it…..For me, It was no different when when garnet left mn. He said the owner ship treated him lousy after giving him 120 million dollars. I am like, really! As a fan, I can only hope the so b drops dead before he gets to enjo y much of it.

11. mrlitl - Feb 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Everything you do is on LeBron Watch because your name is LeBron. Sound kinda dumb if you were on Craig Watch. Or Jeff Watch. Just sayin.

12. schaffershokai - Feb 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

He’s be more valuable if he added this to his game: http://youtu.be/VQ6dvKCfDRo

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches