Feb 17, 2012, 8:43 AM EDT
It’s a fair question in that things are going to have to change from how it was when Anthony was forced into the point-forward role at the start of the season. But this is a good thing.
“You know, that’s true. I’ve been hearing reports, can Jeremy coexist with Melo and everything like that. I’m just confused because he was the one who vouched for me in the first place. So, we want to play together and want to work together and are buying into that. Some people call Melo selfish and he doesn’t buy into the team. That’s just tough for anyone to hear, especially when we don’t think it’s true.”
(Question about getting more assists)“Yeah, I mean, I think that’s the job of a point guard. I don’t want to come out here and shoot 20 shots a game, but if that’s what the defense gives me, then I those nights that’s what I’m going to have to do.”
Anthony can fit in this offense — he worked off the ball just fine in Denver for all those years. Plus, right now, when the first Lin pick-and-roll doesn’t lead to a bucket for the Knicks they struggle with what to do next and reset. Anthony provides an obvious option — if the defense has to focus on the pick-and-roll Anthony will almost always have a favorable one-on-one matchup he can exploit. Zach Lowe does a great breakdown of this at Sports Illustrated.
This can work. It may be rough at times getting there, but it can work. But the real key is the Knicks have to keep playing good defense as they have been.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20