Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
It’s not a surprise — we told you yesterday it was coming — but now it is official.
Well, it is if you can believe J.R. Smith himself. We tend to. Smith tweeted this Friday morning:
New York Knicks it is
Smith will join the Jeremy Lin show, along with Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Which is kind of the order it feels like in New York now. Smith is expected to be at the Garden when the Knicks take on the Hornets tonight, but he will not suit up.
Smith had interest from a number of teams — Orlando, Minnesota, Los Angeles Lakers — but had narrowed the choices down to the Clippers and Knicks. Both are good teams (the Clippers likely better) and both could offer a lot of minutes. But the Knicks could offer more money — the $2.5 million mini mid-level exception — and for a guy who went all the way to China for a paycheck during the lockout you had to figure money mattered a lot.
The Knicks have won seven in a row during the Linsanity run and Smith gives then another real scoring threat. Don’t be surprised if Mike D’Antoni uses him as a sixth man, providing a real scoring boost to the second unit. The Knicks have surprisingly been winning during this streak in part due to having the sixth-ranked defense in the league, something Smith can help with as well.
To make room on the roster, the Knicks cut Renaldo Balkman.
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 7
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 30
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 10
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 18