Feb 16, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
So what does LeBron James want?
By now we’ve learned that simply is a matter of interpretation, other than he doesn’t want to be blamed for your kids’ cartoons not being on or the store being out of milk (from that memorable postgame session in Orlando a week ago).
Then, Thursday, there were the seemingly innocuous remarks after practice about one day perhaps coming back to play in Cleveland.
Of course those comments came a day before playing in Cleveland for the only time this season.
But then James got down to talking about actual basketball, opening a window into his thought process about where the NBA is headed.
And that could have the Heat looking for somewhat of an upgrade at point guard, and perhaps hopeful of a Steve Nash buyout after the trading deadline (or a Baron Davis release by the suddenly point guard-wealthy Knicks).
Asked in particular about Kyrie Irving, James spoke about the league’s, well, future chosen “ones”.
“This is transforming into a point guard league,” he said. “It’s not there yet. You still have D-Wade, Kobe, Kevin Durant, all these great wing guys. But it’s a point guard league.
“If you just look at it, if you have a really, really good point guard you got a chance to win.
“And it’s almost like having a really good quarterback in the NFL. If you got a really good quarterback in the NFL, you got a really good chance to win. So it’s good that this league has great point guards.”
James, of course, has at least a two-year commitment remaining with the Heat before he hits the first of two player-option years.
The best way to make sure he invokes them? Apparently by finding a “one” of a kind.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4