Feb 16, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
So what does LeBron James want?
By now we’ve learned that simply is a matter of interpretation, other than he doesn’t want to be blamed for your kids’ cartoons not being on or the store being out of milk (from that memorable postgame session in Orlando a week ago).
Then, Thursday, there were the seemingly innocuous remarks after practice about one day perhaps coming back to play in Cleveland.
Of course those comments came a day before playing in Cleveland for the only time this season.
But then James got down to talking about actual basketball, opening a window into his thought process about where the NBA is headed.
And that could have the Heat looking for somewhat of an upgrade at point guard, and perhaps hopeful of a Steve Nash buyout after the trading deadline (or a Baron Davis release by the suddenly point guard-wealthy Knicks).
Asked in particular about Kyrie Irving, James spoke about the league’s, well, future chosen “ones”.
“This is transforming into a point guard league,” he said. “It’s not there yet. You still have D-Wade, Kobe, Kevin Durant, all these great wing guys. But it’s a point guard league.
“If you just look at it, if you have a really, really good point guard you got a chance to win.
“And it’s almost like having a really good quarterback in the NFL. If you got a really good quarterback in the NFL, you got a really good chance to win. So it’s good that this league has great point guards.”
James, of course, has at least a two-year commitment remaining with the Heat before he hits the first of two player-option years.
The best way to make sure he invokes them? Apparently by finding a “one” of a kind.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20