Feb 16, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
I’m telling you now, this deal is not going to happen in this form.
But we pass along this rumor, via Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida, anyway.
In other news involving NBA big men, a source said Wednesday that Minnesota continues to pursue a possible trade for Lakers forward Pau Gasol, dangling rookie Derrick Williams, who is from the Los Angeles area, and draft choices.
Gasol would have to play the five for Minny as they already have a pretty good four, as I recall…
No way the Lakers do this deal. Not. A. Chance. I have a better chance of stealing Gisele away from Tom Brady. Gasol is an All-Star caliber forward, the most skilled big man in the league, and they are not giving him up for an athletic rookie with promise but still a lot of holes in his game. The Lakers are not rebuilding from scratch. They would love to offer Orlando more picks in a Dwight Howard trade (centered around Andrew Bynum) but they are not giving up Gasol to get them, they want Gasol next to Howard and have said they are not giving up both to get him (which this essentially would be).
Sure the Lakers were willing to move Gasol for Chris Paul in a three-team deal (killed by David Stern) but it’s going to take someone of that caliber to get them to cough him up. Williams is not close to that guy. And I’m guessing even David Kahn is not going to give up Ricky Rubio or Kevin Love in a deal.
So this is out there. And despite some delusional Lakers fan trying to talk everyone into it, there’s no chance it’s happening.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 6
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars