Feb 16, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
I’m telling you now, this deal is not going to happen in this form.
But we pass along this rumor, via Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida, anyway.
In other news involving NBA big men, a source said Wednesday that Minnesota continues to pursue a possible trade for Lakers forward Pau Gasol, dangling rookie Derrick Williams, who is from the Los Angeles area, and draft choices.
Gasol would have to play the five for Minny as they already have a pretty good four, as I recall…
No way the Lakers do this deal. Not. A. Chance. I have a better chance of stealing Gisele away from Tom Brady. Gasol is an All-Star caliber forward, the most skilled big man in the league, and they are not giving him up for an athletic rookie with promise but still a lot of holes in his game. The Lakers are not rebuilding from scratch. They would love to offer Orlando more picks in a Dwight Howard trade (centered around Andrew Bynum) but they are not giving up Gasol to get them, they want Gasol next to Howard and have said they are not giving up both to get him (which this essentially would be).
Sure the Lakers were willing to move Gasol for Chris Paul in a three-team deal (killed by David Stern) but it’s going to take someone of that caliber to get them to cough him up. Williams is not close to that guy. And I’m guessing even David Kahn is not going to give up Ricky Rubio or Kevin Love in a deal.
So this is out there. And despite some delusional Lakers fan trying to talk everyone into it, there’s no chance it’s happening.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 12
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43