Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
It’s maybe the one puzzle piece missing from the Miami Heat roster — a classic, true center who can body up guys like Dwight Howard in the playoffs and provide some defense and rebounding in the paint.
A guy like Chris Kaman with the Hornets. Who happens to be available via trade.
Which brings us to this report from Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heat’s best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman — if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
Can you imagine what Mark Cuban would say if the league-owned Hornets bought out Kaman’s $14 million deal and he signed with the Heat? He might actually explode like in the movie Scanners.
The Hornets would like to trade Kaman and his expiring $14 million contract before that to bring back some draft picks and young players. The Heat don’t really have any of those to spare for a trade.
Nobody else is really willing to give up young players for Kaman — the Hornets pulled him from games and actively shopped him around, but brought him back when they found no suitable offers. Maybe the offers will get better near the deadline, or the Hornets impossibly high expectations for the deal (thank you David Stern) will be lowered. If not, we know who is lurking.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 4
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 4
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6