Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
It’s maybe the one puzzle piece missing from the Miami Heat roster — a classic, true center who can body up guys like Dwight Howard in the playoffs and provide some defense and rebounding in the paint.
A guy like Chris Kaman with the Hornets. Who happens to be available via trade.
Which brings us to this report from Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heat’s best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman — if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
Can you imagine what Mark Cuban would say if the league-owned Hornets bought out Kaman’s $14 million deal and he signed with the Heat? He might actually explode like in the movie Scanners.
The Hornets would like to trade Kaman and his expiring $14 million contract before that to bring back some draft picks and young players. The Heat don’t really have any of those to spare for a trade.
Nobody else is really willing to give up young players for Kaman — the Hornets pulled him from games and actively shopped him around, but brought him back when they found no suitable offers. Maybe the offers will get better near the deadline, or the Hornets impossibly high expectations for the deal (thank you David Stern) will be lowered. If not, we know who is lurking.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)