Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
It’s maybe the one puzzle piece missing from the Miami Heat roster — a classic, true center who can body up guys like Dwight Howard in the playoffs and provide some defense and rebounding in the paint.
A guy like Chris Kaman with the Hornets. Who happens to be available via trade.
Which brings us to this report from Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heat’s best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman — if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
Can you imagine what Mark Cuban would say if the league-owned Hornets bought out Kaman’s $14 million deal and he signed with the Heat? He might actually explode like in the movie Scanners.
The Hornets would like to trade Kaman and his expiring $14 million contract before that to bring back some draft picks and young players. The Heat don’t really have any of those to spare for a trade.
Nobody else is really willing to give up young players for Kaman — the Hornets pulled him from games and actively shopped him around, but brought him back when they found no suitable offers. Maybe the offers will get better near the deadline, or the Hornets impossibly high expectations for the deal (thank you David Stern) will be lowered. If not, we know who is lurking.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 10
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional