Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
It’s maybe the one puzzle piece missing from the Miami Heat roster — a classic, true center who can body up guys like Dwight Howard in the playoffs and provide some defense and rebounding in the paint.
A guy like Chris Kaman with the Hornets. Who happens to be available via trade.
Which brings us to this report from Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.
Heat officials, including president Pat Riley, have been calling people who know Kaman to ask about him, a source told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
The thinking is the Heat’s best effort to get a center would be to sign Kaman — if his contract is bought out by New Orleans after the March 15 trade deadline.
Can you imagine what Mark Cuban would say if the league-owned Hornets bought out Kaman’s $14 million deal and he signed with the Heat? He might actually explode like in the movie Scanners.
The Hornets would like to trade Kaman and his expiring $14 million contract before that to bring back some draft picks and young players. The Heat don’t really have any of those to spare for a trade.
Nobody else is really willing to give up young players for Kaman — the Hornets pulled him from games and actively shopped him around, but brought him back when they found no suitable offers. Maybe the offers will get better near the deadline, or the Hornets impossibly high expectations for the deal (thank you David Stern) will be lowered. If not, we know who is lurking.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20