Feb 16, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
John Ireland, the Lakers radio play-by-play person and long-time Los Angeles sports radio and television personality, told an interesting story on ESPN Radio in Los Angeles today:
The Lakers had interest in giving Allen Iverson a shot before the season started and offered him a contract — but he had to start with the D-Fenders, the Lakers D-League team. He would get a call up to the Lakers when he proved ready.
That killed the deal, Ireland reported.
But beggars can’t be choosers and apparently Iverson’s attitude has changed, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN.
Iverson is willing to play in the Caribbean, in South America or even in the D-League if it gives him a chance to return to the NBA, the source said.
“Allen only wants to play if there’s a possibility that it leads to the NBA,” the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “That’s the only way he would go to one of these lower leagues. He wants to get back to the NBA and leave the game on his terms.”
While there was talk of Iverson playing in Puerto Rico, there is nothing imminent, according to the report.
It’s hard not to wonder if this is tied to Iverson’s reported financial troubles. If he really would accept a D-League assignment it seems like that could be the path he wants to get back to the NBA. But there will be no guarantees from teams of an NBA spot — after Iverson’s last year in Memphis and Philly teams are leery. They think the off-the-court distraction and media circus would not be worth what they get on the court from him at this point.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1