LeBron says he would consider return to Cavaliers. Someday.

Feb 16, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT

LeBron James Cavaliers Getty Images

LeBron James, peacemaker with Cleveland.

Not that the wounds there can ever be fully healed, but he’s trying. He extended an olive branch Thursday, again saying he handled leaving poorly and he would someday consider returning. At least he’s trying to say all the right things.

The Heat are in Cleveland to take on the Cavs Friday, and here are LeBron’s direct quotes, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN’s Heat Index. Starting with him answering if he would consider a return to the Cavaliers.

“I think it would be great, it would be fun to play in front of these fans again,” James said after the Heat’s practice Thursday at Quicken Loans Arena.

“I had a lot of fun times here. You can’t predict the future. Hopefully you continue to stay healthy. I’m here as a Miami player and I’m happy where I am now but I don’t rule that out in any sense. If I decide to come back, hopefully the fans will accept me….

“I don’t hold grudges, I hold them a little bit but I don’t hold them that long,” James said. “(Cavs owner Dan Gilbert) said what he said out of anger. He probably would want to take that back, but I made a mistake, too. There’s some things I’d want to take back as well. You learn from your mistakes and move on.”

Is there anything LeBron does rule out, that he doesn’t flirt with? He might do the dunk contest, he might return to Cleveland, he might eat at Lola Bistro after the game. Or he might not. Frankly, he likely will not do any of those things. (Although he should eat at Lola.) He keeps his options open.

James isn’t going anywhere soon — his legacy rests with the Heat now. He has to win titles (multiple) there to reach the levels he seeks. There is no turning back from the decision now. He has two more years on his deal with an option for two after that, and he’s not leaving in that span.

But could he end his career back with the Cavs? Could he and Gilbert make up? Stranger things have happened.

1. tampajoey - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Never happen

2. goforthanddie - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Didn’t he already babble this? Didn’t we already laugh heartily?

3. mikeinthevine - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Firstly, Brian Windhorst is LeQuit’s personal media piss boy. He left the Cleveland Plain Dealer the same time LeQuit left the Cavs. Secondly, how does his royal quitness walk with balls that big?

• tampajoey - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Exactly… and if you look real close you can see Brian Windhorst dangling out of the bottom of Lebron’s shorts.

• davidly - Feb 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Brian “Bron’s Testes” Windhorst?

4. farvefromover - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I was beginning to wonder at what point today Lebron would chime in with his daily nonsense.

5. 00maltliquor - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM

J.C. this guy loves burning bridges! How you think this makes the Heat faithful feel? They are under the impression he will be their King forever and here he goes talking about the possibility of joining another team in only his 2nd year of his Miami contract! I’m starting not to like you LeBron! Just shup up already, your not going to make EVERYONE love you again, stop trying to kiss up and own up to your “decision”!!

• hbdbrowns33 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

what Heat faithful? they cant even fill the place during the playoffs.

6. rcali - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

In other news, Art Modell will again be the owner of the Browns.

7. blueintown - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

#clicks.

• goforthanddie - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM

That Twatter crap is as stupid and annoying as anything leb has to say.

• blueintown - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM

#meow

8. babyjesus69 - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Such a politician. Please everyone just enough for them to like me

9. bovice23 - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I would be pretty upset if I was a Heat fan and heard him talking about the possibility of playing for another team in the future. The guy needs to learn to keep him mouth shut.

10. rwmilli - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

All I read there was, Cleve will never win, I’ll go back when I’m washed up, out of my prime, and try and steal a big contract for more than I’m worth….the city got together and burnt your jerseys…I don’t think they want a washed up lebron, I think they wanted ” king lebron “

11. caldreaming - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

He is as dumb as he looks.

12. ljl2 - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM

as a cavs fan, this is getting old. people in cleveland have moved on more than he has. we don’t wann hear it, not because we hate lebron, because we don’t care about it just like we don’t care about the dwight situation.

13. jesse1834 - Feb 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

“Tired of Jeremy Lin, stealing the spotlight.” LeBron

14. jsmith96 - Feb 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

rwmilli
    “All I read there was, Cleve will never win, I’ll go back when I’m washed up, out of my prime, and try and steal a big contract for more than I’m worth….the city got together and burnt your jerseys…I don’t think they want a washed up lebron, I think they wanted ” king lebron ”
    totally true clinging on for desperate popularity when he dries up and kicked out of Miami

15. davidly - Feb 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

LeBoyee has said some less than insightful things, this is still one of the most ‘tarded things I’ve seen in pro sports; that’s sayin’ a lot:

16. philtration - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It was typical idiot LeBron talk and of course it will never happen but it would be pretty damn funny to see LeBron walk away from the Heat just to get at a good laugh at the clueless Miami fans expense.

• southbeachtalent - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM

yea we clue less fans would be crushed… Except LeBron doesn’t pay my bills he just plays for my team.

• philtration - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

“Your” team?

You own pert of the team or work for them in any way?
        Do you pay their bills?
        Oh I forgot… you have been a Heat fan for over a year now so you feel a deep and personal connection to the team.

17. steelerswin6 - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

LeLoser will never be welcome in CLE. He is not even welcome in Akron after all he is ‘the Akron Whore’. The weasels are in his head doesn’t like Eric, can’t stand Pat’s required discipline…no championships for LeLoser

18. asublimeday - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Every day I like lebron less.

The basketball stuff irritates me, but as a person he consistently comes off as an narcissistic megalomaniac.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches