Feb 15, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Good stuff from CNBC’s sports business reporter Darren Rovell talking about the financial impact of Jeremy Lin (from NBC Sports Network’s SportsTalk show).
Two interesting points by Rovell, expanding on what we covered here at PBT previously. One is the impact of Lin on the ongoing MSG Network/Time Warner cable battle. In a fee dispute, Time Warner has stopped carrying MSG Network — meaning Knicks games — in New York. And Time Warner covers much of New York City. So people can’t watch Linsanity if it isn’t a nationally televised game. Lin is a game changer there.
Rovell’s other point I had not seen discussed elsewhere: Lin is of Taiwanese descent, and that island has a rocky relationship with China. Combine that with his being American born and it’s fair to question how much the Chinese people will embrace him — and how much the government there will allow it. This is a very different situation than Yao Ming.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months