Feb 15, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT
Our national Baller-in-Chief has caught Linsanity just like everyone else.
Jeremy Lin added to his legend with a game-winning three Tuesday night over Toronto that had enough swagger for all of New York. Barack Obama is a hoops fan — remember, he had a court installed at the White House — and he has a case of Linsanity, reports Yahoo News.
Obama “is an avid sports fan, and a particularly avid basketball fan, and we were speaking about Jeremy Lin on Marine One as we flew to Andrews Air Force Base this morning,” Jay Carney, the White House press secretary, told reporters on Air Force One as the president headed to Wisconsin to talk about manufacturing (and then is scheduled to go to California to scoop up campaign cash). “He is very impressed.”
“If anybody caught the highlights from last night, they were pretty breathtaking. It’s just a great story and the president was saying as much this morning,” Carney said.
“It’s, obviously, terrific for the New York Knicks. But it’s the kind of sports story that transcends the sport itself,” Carney said.
I can totally picture Obama out on the White House court, trying to imitate Lin, waiving his teammates off so he can go for the iso jumper over Joe Biden. And frankly, you should nail every jumper over Biden, he’s older and slower than Derek Fisher.
I fear the moment — and it’s coming — when some politician tries to attach himself to Lin during a campaign. Don’t. (And that’s not what Obama did here, he’s just talking about what we’re all talking about.) This is pure. Let it be just about hoops and not about politics. I beg you.
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 0
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22