Feb 15, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
In a sense, the Charlotte Bobcats catch a break — because of the lockout shortened, 66-game season we can’t compare them directly with the worst team in NBA history, the 9-win 72-73 Philadelphia 76ers. If the Bobcats win less than 9 games, they can claim an asterisk because of this season.
But they are that bad.
Those Sixers had a win percentage of .110. The current Bobcats winning percentage is .107 (3-25). They have lost 15 in a row.
It gets worse than that. These Bobcats are proving to be historically bad and Justin Havens, ESPN Stats & Info has the numbers to prove it.
Since the start of the 2001-02 season, only three teams have ranked in the bottom two in the league in both offensive and defensive efficiency. If the Bobcats maintain their current pace, they will be the fourth team on this list.
Through 28 games, they are being outscored by 14.4 points per game. That is on pace for the second-worst mark since the NBA-ABA merger.
Thing is, it’s hard to see where the Bobcats wins are going to come from, five of their next six are on the road where they are 1-14 (not that they are much better at home). They had two games against Washington recently but got swept, and while Toronto and Detroit are coming up in the coming weeks those are tough wins for Charlotte. The problems are too big to just be blamed on injuries, the players, coach Paul Silas or owner Michael Jordan alone.
The 66-game equivalent of the Sixers 9-win season is 7.3 victories. We’ll see if Charlotte can clear that barrier.
Hey, but it is a deep draft, so you’ve got that to look forward to, Bobcats fans.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32