Feb 15, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Two minutes into the Trail Blazers ugly loss to the Washington Wizards Tuesday, LaMarcus Aldridge went up with a turnaround jumper, Trevor Booker stepped out to contest it and in doing so slid his foot under Aldridge, and the result was a painful looking sprained ankle. (Watch the video below.)
X-Rays came back negative, but Aldridge did not travel with the team to Golden State for Wednesday’s game, reports Blazers Edge. They also return home for a third game of a back-to-back-to-back and get the Clippers Thursday night, and I wouldn’t expect to see him lace it up for that one either. This looked pretty severe.
Which is rough — Portland has lost four of its last five and is playing its worst ball of the season by far. They need to change their fortunes, and that just got a lot harder to do.
A quick look at the five-man lineups so far this season for Portland show not a lot of minutes and even less success for units that did not have Aldridge in them (from Basketballvalue.com). He is their All-Star big, their anchor and lynchpin. They need him right, but they need him back soon.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 0
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 18
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28