Feb 14, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
The more I listen to him, the more I think Mark Cuban doesn’t like any trade that doesn’t benefit Mark Cuban.
He was one of those who opposed the trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers (which was shot down by David Stern as defacto owner of the Hornets) and now he tells ESPNDallas.com he didn’t like the trade of Chris Paul to the Clippers, either.
He said he would rather the Hornets held on to him.
“You’re better off just taking the cap room, or whatever,” Cuban said.
So, the Hornets would have been better off with the cloud of trade rumors and an unhappy Chris Paul around all season, followed by him leaving and New Orleans getting no jump start on the rebuilding process at all?
No, they wouldn’t have. You’re not going to attract quality free agents to New Orleans with that cap space right now because, as great as the city is, it’s a small market where the league owns the team. It’s a mess. The cap space doesn’t really help you. Eric Gordon (when healthy) and picks help you.
Another thing Cuban and I disagree on is why the CP3 to the Lakers trade was killed. He says it has nothing to do with it being the Lakers.
“I don’t think it was about the Lakers, per se,” Cuban said before the game. “I think it was just the way they did the deal, which was ridiculous. I don’t think it was about which team. I think it was the fact that, even with the Clippers, we just went through this whole (collective bargaining agreement) and said the incumbent team still has the advantage and then the team the league owns (wimps) out. And look how it’s worked out for them.
“Bad management gets you bad results.”
Nice dig at Stern. But to me, bad management would have been to let Chris Paul walk with nothing in return.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6