Kobe backs Lakers getting Arenas, but not enthusiastically

Feb 14, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT

Arenas_Gilbert

The Lakers need a point guard. You know it. I know it. Kobe Bryant knows it. Heck, even Derek Fisher knows it, he’s just too professional to get his head down over it.

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak watched Gilbert Arenas work out on Sunday. So reporters asked Kobe what he thinks of the Arenas idea (from Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Times Lakers blog):

“It surely wouldn’t hurt,” Bryant said Monday after practice at the Lakers’ facility in El Segundo. “That’s for sure.”

Well, that’s a ringing endorsement. What does coach Mike Brown say?

“If somebody can help us, then I’m open to that,” Brown said. “I can’t say whether or not he can help us. I haven’t seen or talked to him and people who have seen him.”

He hasn’t talked to Kupchak about it? Riiiight.

Kobe’s attitude was that of a lot of Lakers fans the last 48 hours — Arenas is cheap and he can’t be worse than what we have, so why not? You can argue that position if you want, but desperation pickups are not how teams that fancy themselves contenders solve problems. Arenas shot 34 percent in Orlando last season and had a PER right where Derek Fisher’s is now. He is not the answer. The Lakers need to make a bold move (one that doesn’t get shot down by David Stern). Or at least pick up someone like Ramon Sessions, who will be an improvement at the one spot.

But if you want to bring in Arenas, it can’t hurt.

1. omniusprime - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM

No way no how should the Lakers waste their time on Arenas. Kupcake needs to be patient and wait for a much better point guard option, he picks Arenas now and Gilbert doesn’t pan out then the Lakers are stuck with him. Kobe has to be polite but it sure doesn’t sound like he really wants Arenas around him.

What’s really needed is to get rid of that pathetic excuse of a coach, Brown. To think this bozo wanted Jackson’s salary amount and what has Brown done for us Laker fans except “Just Lose Baby”!

2. kandh2004 - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Kurt seriously you have to let the Paul trade to LA go. How long has it been now and you are still putting it in every chance you get. I get it you love you some Kobe and want him to have all the great players so he can keep winning but seriously let it go

3. sellahh - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Would be a great pickup in my, Lakers fan, eyes.
    I haven’t watched too many Orlando’s games last season and i don’t think my basketball knowledge is nearly good enough to judge how good of a defender Arenas is, but i think I’ve read HERE some time ago that Arenas, despite his shooting woes, is still a decent defender. Doesn’t mean he actually is, but hell, could he be worse than DFish on the defensive side of the game? I doubt that. Could he shoot less % on both 2- and 3-pointers than DFish? I don’t quite think so. So as long as it is for the veterans minimum, that pickup would be decent-to-good for the Lake show I believe. Arenas doesn’t deserve a midlevel or mini-midlevel exception and I’m sure the Lakers won’t offer him one, especially with JRSwish still being a free agent. (Not that I think he would sign with the Lakers, but still). But Agent Zero for a vet mins? Win-win.
    PS. I still hope Blake Griffin and LeBron James suffer those career- or at least season-ending injuries you know, Blake for the fact that he’s overrated and cocky as hell and LBJ for being by far the best player in the league, admitted by a Lakers fan.

4. khandor - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

If the Lakers can indeed acquire Ramon Sessions from the Cavaliers in return for a 1st Round Draft Pick, then, he would be a MUCH better fit than a defensive liability like Gil Arenas.

5. tsi4431 - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

New blood can spark a team. Changing the team from the triangle in the off season ruined this season, but maybe some new faces can right the ship, and bring about some chemistry that is sorely needed.

6. jrob1030 - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I can’t believe someone would actually wish that 2 of the most exciting players in the league, LBJ and Griffin, would get season ending injuries. Even as a huge Laker fan, no one wants to see serious injuries

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches