Feb 14, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
From the Star-Ledger’s Colin Stephenson:
…Lopez had surgery Dec. 23 to insert a screw in his right foot, in which he had suffered a broken fifth metatarsal bone. The team had said he would be out 6-8 weeks, and Friday marked seven weeks since the surgery. The official injury report said Lopez will be out through at least Thursday’s game in Indianapolis, and his status will be updated Friday. Johnson said there won’t be any more practices before the All-Star break, but said that doesn’t mean Lopez won’t return before the break.
“We’re not ruling anything out,” Johnson said.
The 23-year old Lopez had played in all 82 games of each of his first three seasons in the league, and averaged 20 points and 5.9 rebounds per game last season on 49.2% shooting from the floor. Without Lopez, Deron Williams and the Nets have stumbled to an 8-21 record this season.
Rumor has it that the Nets would desperately like to trade Lopez for Dwight Howard, but at this point they’d probably be just as happy with some solid production out of their young center, because if the Nets don’t turn things around somehow before the season ends, Williams will almost certainly leave the team this off-season.
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 3
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1