Feb 14, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
When Allen Iverson was playing in Turkey last season, there was a report that he did it for the $2 million because he was broke. That he had burned through the $154 million in salary he earned as a player (not counting endorsements). Iverson denied that charge saying he would be a “damn fool” to blow through all that money and not be able to take care of his children.
But now comes another report about Iverson and money issues. PBT passed along the note last month that a jeweler had won an $860,000 settlement against Iverson for non-payment.
Bill Lyon at the Philadelphia Inquirer adds to that with this note:
A Georgia judge has ordered Allen Ezail Iverson to pay a jeweler about $860,000. But apparently he can’t, so his bank account has been commandeered, and his earnings, whatever of them may be left, are to be garnisheed. The King of Bling, it would seem, is about to become the Prince of Pawn.
Certainly in the next 24 hours or so, Iverson will deny this report as well. And frankly, I don’t know who to believe as I don’t have access to Iverson’s personal financial records (although you would think the judge in this case would, and the circumstantial evidence is piling up against AI, like him thinking of playing in Puerto Rico).
Either way, it’s a sad ending that should not mar what was one of the most legendary and unique careers the NBA has ever seen. There has never been a scorer under 6’2” as good — or entertaining — as Iverson.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 5
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 16
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9