Steve Nash doesn’t know if he will be traded or not

Feb 13, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT

Suns guard Nash looks to drive on Mavericks center Mahinmi during their NBA basketball game in Dallas, Texas Reuters

Will Steve Nash still be a Phoenix Sun on March 16?

Probably. Steve Nash has not requested a trade and said he’s not going to, and the Suns have said they will not trade him unless he requests to be moved.

But the Suns are at a crossroads. Nash becomes a free agent at the end of this season and might well go chase a ring elsewhere. The usual pattern when a team feels it’s going to lose its star is to trade him and get some picks/young players back to start rebuilding. And one look at the Suns roster outside Nash and you realize how badly they need to restart that process.

So what happens when the Suns start getting trade offers in, Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated asked Nash?

“I have no idea what the club will eventually do if a bunch of offers are thrown in their face,” Nash said, “but I feel like I’m not nervous about [the trade deadline] and I’m not thinking about — what’s the word? — I’m not anticipating anything to happen. I feel like I made a commitment and I feel like I owe it to my teammates — the city, the fans, the club — to play it out and to play as hard as I can.”

Again he emphasizes he’s not going to ask to get out. And while it might not be the best basketball move to keep him, it is the best marketing move in Phoenix, where Nash is the beloved face of the franchise.

So probably the March 15 trade deadline will come and go without us talking about Steve Nash’s new home. But nobody really knows what will happen when push comes to shove. Not even Nash.

1. lancer255 - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I think the hardest thing in sports is to recognize an era is over. They should have traded this guy 2 years ago but instead they have waited.

• sellahh - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Let’s see. Oh right, 2 years ago Suns were challenging Lakers in the conference Finals and had it not been for Artest’s miraculous buzzer beater who knows how this series would have turned out.
      I agree that AFTER they’ve let Amare go, they should have traded Nash too. But not 2 years ago.

• cowhawkfan - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Not to mention that I believe the Suns are being loyal to Nash, even to their own detriment. They may eventually approach him ask if he is okay with being traded and as a courtesy, give him input into where he goes.

2. mashoaf - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’ve heard there are couple rumors out there of the Lakers needing a new point guard.

3. fnc111 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Trade him two years ago? They were in the western conference finals then. It’s more frustrating how Kerr destroyed this team right when he got there but somehow Nash turned it around. Nash will sign with the Lakers this summer.

4. cowhawkfan - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Please come home to Dallas Steve!!!

5. nauhurdler - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Kerr was NOT the downfall of this team…how is a GM supposed to do his job when the idiot owner undercuts him all the time and won’t sign key free agents…low balling Joe Johnson shows how much of a cheap loser Sarver is and once that happened, it just began a habit. Sarver is the reason this team missed its window

6. fnc111 - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Who traded for an ancient Shaq when Phx had the best record in the west? You don’t change your style of play mid season. Kerr did just as much under cutting on D ‘ Antoni. Sarver has some blame too. I understand that but the whole operation has been a joke the last few years. NashMVP worked a little magic. Joe Johnson was going to head home to the south/Atl no matter what. Time to rebuild fellas.

7. t16rich - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Go Nash Go!!! Bring British Columbia a Larry O’Brien Trophy!!!!

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches