Feb 13, 2012, 1:07 PM EST
Will Steve Nash still be a Phoenix Sun on March 16?
Probably. Steve Nash has not requested a trade and said he’s not going to, and the Suns have said they will not trade him unless he requests to be moved.
But the Suns are at a crossroads. Nash becomes a free agent at the end of this season and might well go chase a ring elsewhere. The usual pattern when a team feels it’s going to lose its star is to trade him and get some picks/young players back to start rebuilding. And one look at the Suns roster outside Nash and you realize how badly they need to restart that process.
So what happens when the Suns start getting trade offers in, Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated asked Nash?
“I have no idea what the club will eventually do if a bunch of offers are thrown in their face,” Nash said, “but I feel like I’m not nervous about [the trade deadline] and I’m not thinking about — what’s the word? — I’m not anticipating anything to happen. I feel like I made a commitment and I feel like I owe it to my teammates — the city, the fans, the club — to play it out and to play as hard as I can.”
Again he emphasizes he’s not going to ask to get out. And while it might not be the best basketball move to keep him, it is the best marketing move in Phoenix, where Nash is the beloved face of the franchise.
So probably the March 15 trade deadline will come and go without us talking about Steve Nash’s new home. But nobody really knows what will happen when push comes to shove. Not even Nash.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 0
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5