Feb 13, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
The good news is, there is nothing seriously wrong with Derrick Rose’s back.
The real question is will coach Tom Thibodeau allow Rose to give it the rest it needs.
Rose went to see a back specialist on Monday and there is no structural damage, the issue is muscular, reports CSNChicago.com and the Chicago Tribune. This is a confirmation of the Bulls’ doctors’ diagnosis. Which is good, muscular heals quickly with rest.
Rose is listed as day-to-day. Of course, the Bulls are so secretive about injuries that if Rose had his spine removed they would say he was day-to-day. But that’s the official standing. Rose has missed the last two games due to a sore back.
This all circles back to the minutes issue in Chicago — in a season with a condensed schedule and the Bulls poised for a deep playoff run, Thibodeau has to balance getting wins and a high seed with having his players rested and ready to go come the playoffs. The Bulls need to get Rose to back off. This year there the playoffs will not be as spread out, the recuperation will not be the same. Health will matter for the Bulls (and every team) and wearing down players in the regular season could come back to haunt Chicago. Running Deng out 41 minutes right after an injury, not just sitting Rose when his back flared up — and Rose said it felt worse after every game he tried to play through — was a mistake. Rose is a competitor, he doesn’t want to sit. Thibodeau has to make him at times.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18