Feb 13, 2012, 6:36 PM EST
The good news is, there is nothing seriously wrong with Derrick Rose’s back.
The real question is will coach Tom Thibodeau allow Rose to give it the rest it needs.
Rose went to see a back specialist on Monday and there is no structural damage, the issue is muscular, reports CSNChicago.com and the Chicago Tribune. This is a confirmation of the Bulls’ doctors’ diagnosis. Which is good, muscular heals quickly with rest.
Rose is listed as day-to-day. Of course, the Bulls are so secretive about injuries that if Rose had his spine removed they would say he was day-to-day. But that’s the official standing. Rose has missed the last two games due to a sore back.
This all circles back to the minutes issue in Chicago — in a season with a condensed schedule and the Bulls poised for a deep playoff run, Thibodeau has to balance getting wins and a high seed with having his players rested and ready to go come the playoffs. The Bulls need to get Rose to back off. This year there the playoffs will not be as spread out, the recuperation will not be the same. Health will matter for the Bulls (and every team) and wearing down players in the regular season could come back to haunt Chicago. Running Deng out 41 minutes right after an injury, not just sitting Rose when his back flared up — and Rose said it felt worse after every game he tried to play through — was a mistake. Rose is a competitor, he doesn’t want to sit. Thibodeau has to make him at times.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)