Carmelo says playing with Lin will be “dream come true”

Feb 13, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats v New York Knicks

Reportedly, it was Carmelo Anthony — in street clothes due to a pulled groin — going to Mike D’Antoni at halftime of the Knicks game against New Jersey and suggesting to play Jeremy Lin more that kicked off “Linsanity.”

Monday, the guy who came to New York to see himself on the back pages of the tabloids had to answer the questions about how he will fit in with Lin.

Anthony doesn’t see a problem. Anthony is still out with a groin injury and is expected back later in the week. Here is what he said about playing with Lin when that happens, via ESPNNewYork.com.

“When I get back Jeremy will have the ball in his hands and I’m playing off of that,” Anthony said on Monday….

“When I’m reading the stuff (about how he might not fit with Lin), it’s more funny than anything because at the end of the day I know what I bring to the game, I know what I bring to this team,” Anthony said on Monday after missing practice due to a strained right groin. “My teammates know that. But to say, ‘How can I fit in?’ It’s easy; give him the ball and space out. I get back to doing what I know how to do best. So we’ll see…

“I know there’s questions about, ‘Can I fit in?’ and stuff like that, but this is like a dream come true to me,” Anthony said. “It takes some pressure off of me. I don’t have to play point guard. I don’t have to try to get Amare (Stoudemire) 20 points, try to get this guy 20 points, me try to go out there and get 25-30 points a night, play defense, rebound do the whole thing.”

Anthony is right about that part. He tried his best — his last season he assisted on just 14.7 percent of his teammates baskets when he was on the floor, that has jumped to 24.3 percent this year — but playing the point-forward facilitator is not his forte. He is a scorer, pure and simple. He has worked better coming off screens or being in the post and getting fed by guys like Chauncey Billups in the past.

But he also was a ball stopper back with the Nuggets — he still put up a lot of shots and ran a lot of isolations. His last full season in Denver he got 36.5 percent of his shot attempts in isolation, 17.7 percent in post up (stats from mysynergysports.com). Those kinds of numbers here would change the flow of the Knicks offense.

We’ll find out later this week, it looks like.

1. lunasceiling - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Like I said in the comments to another article, I think when all is said and done, Carmelo and Amare are more interested in getting the W and making a deep playoff run than they are in their own stat line. I realize that’s blasphemy to some of their critics, but I think it’s true. I think Carmelo sees in Lin a PG that can make the Knicks more dangerous…AND can let him get back to his more natural role. Will he take a lot of shots? Sure. That’s his job.

2. 7pints - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Please. Carmelo played for years with one of the greatest PGs of all time and was still a ball killing black hole. Or have we forgot about Chauncey. You can’t correct selfish with coaching either. It’s a character flaw.

• ljl2 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Chauncey was a good PG, but one of the greatest? Don’t go too far.

• southbeachtalent - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

So Lin > Billups?? Come on.

• ljl2 - Feb 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Soutchbeachtalent – “So Lin > Billups?? Come on.”

That is not what I said. Not even what I implied. What I said was Chauncey was not one of the greatest PGs. That doesn’t mean Lin is better, it just means that Chauncey was not one of the greatest. Had nothing to do with Lin.

3. klownboy - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Here’s hoping that Melo will not screw with the Linsanity…

4. cantonbound13 - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM

People bashing Melo & Amare are not true Knick fans. Adding those 2 stars to Chandler, Lin & solid role players like Fields, Shumpert & Novak make them true contenders.

5. kidneystoner - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Carmelo actually played in that game against the Nets, he wasn’t in street clothes.

6. tcclark - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I can just see Carmelo laying in bed as a child just hoping that one day he can play with Jeremy Lin.

7. zblott - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:24 AM

For the record, the stats make it clear that Lin’s positive effect on the Knicks’ success won’t last:

8. losangelasbasketball - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I like how new york fan has to create a new term, “linsanity” to somehow persuade mello to change up his game and merge with another style….aint that dantonis job? Dantoni is garbage new york…. You should be running him out of town…..

9. dysraw1 - Feb 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

J Lin is a hard working young player with the potential to become what people call star however in all of his interviews he talks about the team and how hard everybody else is working. thats music to my ears anybody concern about Melo interupting this attitude is a fool, because hes here to win to simple.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches