Feb 13, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Floyd Mayweather rarely holds his tongue. Or shy away from racist remarks. Just ask Manny Pacquiao. (Not that it has got them together for a fight.)
So maybe we shouldn’t be shocked when Mayweather tweeted today:
“Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he’s Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don’t get the same praise.”
Lin being Asian-American (the first NBA player of Taiwanese descent) has certainly energized one community of fans and boosted his popularity. Him being in New York and helping salvage that franchise’s season certainly has meant more intense hype as well.
But this phenomenon is not about skin color.
No player in NBA history had scored at least 20 points with seven assists in each of his first four starts until Lin came along. He has averaged 27.3 points, 8.3 assists and 2.0 steals in his four starts. His 109 points in those first four starts most by any player since 1976-77.
You get the idea. Lin is blowing up because he is putting up historic numbers — the fact he is doing it on the NBA’s biggest media stage may fuel the hype, but the hype itself is well deserved.
The tweets, that’s just a media hound in Floyd being Floyd.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 0
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 27
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record