Feb 13, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
What you missed while wondering what the heck Nicki Minaj was doing at the Grammys….
Lakers 94, Raptors 92: The Lakers are still a disorganized mess at the end of games that looks nothing like a veteran team that won rings a couple years ago. But sometimes Kobe still knocks down shots. Our man Matt Moore broke down this game, too.
Heat 107, Hawks 87: This was a perfect storm. Miami came out aggressive on defense, which let them get out and run on offense (18 fast break points in the first half), and they are beasts when they do that. Miami took control with a 22-5 run in the second half of the first quarter, and it was all but over. However, the final score was as much about Atlanta coming out without any energy or passion. This is the Heat in your sold out building, how do you not fight back? This is why nobody believes in the Hawks. It was for Miami to keep their starters minutes down on the first of three games in three nights. LeBron James had 23 and Dwyane Wade 21.
Wizards 98, Pistons 77: Washington took control of this game midway through the third and ran away and hid. When John Wall controls the game like he did this stretch — and his teammates are playing with him and hitting shots — you get a glimpse of what they could be. JaVale McGee and Nick Young each had 22.
Warriors 106, Rockets 97: Golden State tends to live and die by the jumper — when the shot is falling it can hang with anyone. The Warriors were 13-of-24 from three, Monta Ellis dropped 33 points (on 23 shots) with seven assists. When Ellis and Stephen Curry (14 points) are playing off each other like that it’s fun to watch. It was close for three quarters, but a 17-5 Warriors run to start toe fourth determined this one.
Jazz 98, Grizzlies 88: This game was about the paint — Memphis stayed in it, getting 14 offensive rebounds in the first half. But Utah scored 54 of its points and dominated inside, particularly in the fourth quarter. That last quarter was entertaining, Utah shot 64 percent and Memphis 63 percent, but the six Grizzlies turnovers that quarter were the difference. In a tight Western Conference where these two are fighting for playoff positioning, the Jazz just won the season series and the tiebreaker.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29