Feb 13, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
What you missed while wondering what the heck Nicki Minaj was doing at the Grammys….
Lakers 94, Raptors 92: The Lakers are still a disorganized mess at the end of games that looks nothing like a veteran team that won rings a couple years ago. But sometimes Kobe still knocks down shots. Our man Matt Moore broke down this game, too.
Heat 107, Hawks 87: This was a perfect storm. Miami came out aggressive on defense, which let them get out and run on offense (18 fast break points in the first half), and they are beasts when they do that. Miami took control with a 22-5 run in the second half of the first quarter, and it was all but over. However, the final score was as much about Atlanta coming out without any energy or passion. This is the Heat in your sold out building, how do you not fight back? This is why nobody believes in the Hawks. It was for Miami to keep their starters minutes down on the first of three games in three nights. LeBron James had 23 and Dwyane Wade 21.
Wizards 98, Pistons 77: Washington took control of this game midway through the third and ran away and hid. When John Wall controls the game like he did this stretch — and his teammates are playing with him and hitting shots — you get a glimpse of what they could be. JaVale McGee and Nick Young each had 22.
Warriors 106, Rockets 97: Golden State tends to live and die by the jumper — when the shot is falling it can hang with anyone. The Warriors were 13-of-24 from three, Monta Ellis dropped 33 points (on 23 shots) with seven assists. When Ellis and Stephen Curry (14 points) are playing off each other like that it’s fun to watch. It was close for three quarters, but a 17-5 Warriors run to start toe fourth determined this one.
Jazz 98, Grizzlies 88: This game was about the paint — Memphis stayed in it, getting 14 offensive rebounds in the first half. But Utah scored 54 of its points and dominated inside, particularly in the fourth quarter. That last quarter was entertaining, Utah shot 64 percent and Memphis 63 percent, but the six Grizzlies turnovers that quarter were the difference. In a tight Western Conference where these two are fighting for playoff positioning, the Jazz just won the season series and the tiebreaker.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 5
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19