Feb 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Some of you may have varying opinions on Stephen A. Smith, but I would advise you to consider the following before passing judgment on the value of a rumor sourced from him. If you ever watch SAS work a room full of All-Stars, it’s just about the most fascinating thing you’ll ever see. He’s one of the very few individuals I’ve ever seen have All-Stars drop what they are doing to go reach out and approach him. This was in public, I can only imagine what happens behind close doors. The long and short of it is that Smith may not be your cup of tea, but he’s not some blogger sitting somewhere making up rumors. That’s my job. KIDDING. (I only make up terrible nicknames.)
So this report from him via ESPN on the Lakers being interested in finding the answer to their troubles in The Answer? It’s probably got legs at one end of the vine or the other.
Allen Iverson, who sources indicated the Lakers had some interest in as long as he was willing to go to the NBA Developmental League for a few weeks first, is not the answer. Hes simply not a point guard. The Lakers are also said to be interested in former Toronto Raptors point guard Rafer Alston, who helped the Orlando Magic reach the NBA Finals in 2009. But who knows if that will materialize into anything?
“Hey, your offense suffers because it lacks players who can produce off the ball, your big men have been inconsistent, and your best player feels its in his best interest to take 28-plus shots a night, then receives no criticism on drowning the offense because he manages to score 30-plus. I know! Allen Iverson will solve all these problems!” (Note: You can’t really blame Kobe for taking shots when his options are Troy Murphy and Jason Kapono while Andrew Bynum continues his slide back into the cuckoo nest, but it paints a more complete picture of the Lakers’ offensive troubles.)
Allen Iverson will not solve all these problems. Now, it’s clear that this was just a fleeting consideration, a flyer, a “why not?” approach. But it does show how desperate the Lakers are for someone to orchestrate the offense and create opportunities. I mean, Rafer Alston, guys?
Someone might want to tell management and the coaching staff that it isn’t 2008. The times are not a-changing. They have done changed.
Kobe and Iverson on the same team. We’re going to need to clone possessions in a hurry.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30