Feb 12, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
How desperate are the Lakers for a point guard? Well, they’ve talked about bringing in Allen Iverson.
And now they have worked out Gilbert Arenas.
In a search to find some scoring for their floundering offense, Los Angeles Lakers officials attended a private workout for guard Gilbert Arenas on Sunday in Southern California, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly – if at all – the Lakers would pursue signing him to a free-agent contract.
Lakers coach Mike Brown and no member of the Lakers coaching staff was part of the workout.
Arenas had the “Kobe therapy” of modified platelet-rich plasma therapy on his knee recently. That combined with the fact the Lakers backcourt of Derek Fisher and Steve Blake that has been unimpressive has the Lakers looking for answers.
Gilbert Arenas is not the answer. Lakers fans, he is not better than Fisher and Blake. In Orlando last year he shot 34 percent, 27 percent from three and averaged 8 points on 8 shots a game. His PER of 8.6 in Orlando is pretty much right at Derek Fisher’s PER of 8.5. Arenas played better than that in Washington before he was traded, but shot a lot more there and create offense.
The Lakers need a PG who can organize the offense, feed the post and knock down outside shots. They need youth and more athleticism. Arenas is not longer young and athletic, and organizing the offense has never been his game. LA would be much, much better off with Ramon Sessions than Gilbert Arenas.
He’s not perfect, but the Lakers should play rookie Andrew Goudelock a lot more.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 0
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 4
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 12
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43