Feb 12, 2012, 10:34 PM EST
How desperate are the Lakers for a point guard? Well, they’ve talked about bringing in Allen Iverson.
And now they have worked out Gilbert Arenas.
In a search to find some scoring for their floundering offense, Los Angeles Lakers officials attended a private workout for guard Gilbert Arenas on Sunday in Southern California, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly – if at all – the Lakers would pursue signing him to a free-agent contract.
Lakers coach Mike Brown and no member of the Lakers coaching staff was part of the workout.
Arenas had the “Kobe therapy” of modified platelet-rich plasma therapy on his knee recently. That combined with the fact the Lakers backcourt of Derek Fisher and Steve Blake that has been unimpressive has the Lakers looking for answers.
Gilbert Arenas is not the answer. Lakers fans, he is not better than Fisher and Blake. In Orlando last year he shot 34 percent, 27 percent from three and averaged 8 points on 8 shots a game. His PER of 8.6 in Orlando is pretty much right at Derek Fisher’s PER of 8.5. Arenas played better than that in Washington before he was traded, but shot a lot more there and create offense.
The Lakers need a PG who can organize the offense, feed the post and knock down outside shots. They need youth and more athleticism. Arenas is not longer young and athletic, and organizing the offense has never been his game. LA would be much, much better off with Ramon Sessions than Gilbert Arenas.
He’s not perfect, but the Lakers should play rookie Andrew Goudelock a lot more.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 0
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 15
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 7
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 5
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 13
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 26
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 4