Feb 12, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
How desperate are the Lakers for a point guard? Well, they’ve talked about bringing in Allen Iverson.
And now they have worked out Gilbert Arenas.
In a search to find some scoring for their floundering offense, Los Angeles Lakers officials attended a private workout for guard Gilbert Arenas on Sunday in Southern California, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly – if at all – the Lakers would pursue signing him to a free-agent contract.
Lakers coach Mike Brown and no member of the Lakers coaching staff was part of the workout.
Arenas had the “Kobe therapy” of modified platelet-rich plasma therapy on his knee recently. That combined with the fact the Lakers backcourt of Derek Fisher and Steve Blake that has been unimpressive has the Lakers looking for answers.
Gilbert Arenas is not the answer. Lakers fans, he is not better than Fisher and Blake. In Orlando last year he shot 34 percent, 27 percent from three and averaged 8 points on 8 shots a game. His PER of 8.6 in Orlando is pretty much right at Derek Fisher’s PER of 8.5. Arenas played better than that in Washington before he was traded, but shot a lot more there and create offense.
The Lakers need a PG who can organize the offense, feed the post and knock down outside shots. They need youth and more athleticism. Arenas is not longer young and athletic, and organizing the offense has never been his game. LA would be much, much better off with Ramon Sessions than Gilbert Arenas.
He’s not perfect, but the Lakers should play rookie Andrew Goudelock a lot more.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31