Feb 12, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
Derrick Rose missed Sunday’s game against the Bulls with back spasms he’s been dealing with. But the bigger concern may be why they haven’t gone away. So Rose will be seeing a specialist on Monday, he told reporters before Chicago’s game against Boston. Via CSN Chicago:
Rose will see a specialist Monday when the Bulls return to Chicago, but wouldn’t speculate on whether he’d play in the team’s next game, Tuesday against Sacramento at the United Center.
“Probably go see some people tomorrow, have them look at it. But I don’t know yet,” he said. “I can’t say I’m going to be out. If I feel good tomorrow, I’m definitely going to play then, but I don’t know yet.”
Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau, who started C.J. Watson in Rose’s place, indicated that the organization would be cautious with Rose.
“It’s not cleared up as much as we would like right now. He still has a little bit of stiffness, so we decided it’s better to sit him out of this one,” he said. “Once we get back home, we’ll have a chance to go see a specialist and we’ll go from there.
“Well, you’re always concerned. It’s something that he’s had before. He had it when he was in high school, so we’re hopeful it gets cleared up shortly, but we want to make sure.
So that’s not good. Rose is pivotal to the Bulls’ chances, but at least they’re invested in getting him right for the playoffs. The rest of the team is good enough behind Tom Thibodeau’s defense to sustain without Rose, and having him healthy for the playoffs needs to be the priority. So this is a good move.
But where was it a few weeks ago when Rose was dealing with various injuries including an ankle issue? Here was a particularly interesting quote from CSN Chicago:
“It was the whole trip, but I just played through it. The more I played through it, it tended to get worse after every game. At the time, I was really worried about it, but just tried to stay positive and hopefully I’ll be all right.
Am I the only who, if my MVP was having the sniffles, if he had any hitch in his giddy-up, if he had Carpal Tunnel, I would keep him out as long as I had a top five seed in the East? This is a season about survival. It got worse every game… and yet he’s playing. And not just playing, playing heavy minutes.
There’s trusting your player, and there’s doing what’s best for your team. Rose needs to go down for a long stretch of time to get completely healthy. The Bulls are gambling with chips they’re going to need in three months.
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 3
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 6
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)