Feb 12, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo had 32 points, 15 assists, and 10 rebounds.
You’re pretty much not going to beat the Celtics without a Derrick-Rose when that happens, and the Bulls did not Sunday, as they lost 95-91 in Boston.
Was it a good win? Yes and no.
The Celtics lead throughout, and only really allowed two significant runs. The Big 3 didn’t play well at all (12-28), and yet Boston only felt the noose tighten at the end. Yet it did tighten, and without Derrick Rose. Boston needed the win to get off a two-game losing streak, but without Rose, a blowout would have made people feel a lot better about the long-term health of the Celtics. As it stands, Rondo is developing excellent chemistry with Chris Wilcox, the Celtics were missing Jermaine O’Neal and Brandon Bass, and the Celtics still managed to beat a quality team.
The Bulls showed why they need Rose so badly. C.J. Watson, Luol Deng, and Carlos Boozer were largely overwhelmed, Watson and Boozer defensively, Deng offensively, and the Chicago bench was roundly outclassed which almost never happens. Rose is the balance for this concoction, the maestro, and without him, things tend to fall down like dominoes for Chicago.
Rajon Rondo continues to be involved in trade discussions. This is madness, and it is not Sparta. Rondo is a prolific player in this league and makes everyone around him better. His jumper’s not great. You know, that same shot most of the big men in this league don’t have and half the time we scream at perimeter players for taking anyway. He creates, and creates, and creates. He deserves more credit.
Is Boston back? Far from it. The same feeling pervades this win as it did the Lakers loss. Are the Celtics a bad team? Absolutely not. Are they a great team? Absolutely not. They’re somewhere in between, they’re fine. And unless they get a lot better in the next two months, the Big 3 era will go out with a whimper, not a bang.
Because if they see Chicago in the playoffs, Derrick Rose will likely not be on the sidelines.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 0
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 6
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21