Feb 12, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo had 32 points, 15 assists, and 10 rebounds.
You’re pretty much not going to beat the Celtics without a Derrick-Rose when that happens, and the Bulls did not Sunday, as they lost 95-91 in Boston.
Was it a good win? Yes and no.
The Celtics lead throughout, and only really allowed two significant runs. The Big 3 didn’t play well at all (12-28), and yet Boston only felt the noose tighten at the end. Yet it did tighten, and without Derrick Rose. Boston needed the win to get off a two-game losing streak, but without Rose, a blowout would have made people feel a lot better about the long-term health of the Celtics. As it stands, Rondo is developing excellent chemistry with Chris Wilcox, the Celtics were missing Jermaine O’Neal and Brandon Bass, and the Celtics still managed to beat a quality team.
The Bulls showed why they need Rose so badly. C.J. Watson, Luol Deng, and Carlos Boozer were largely overwhelmed, Watson and Boozer defensively, Deng offensively, and the Chicago bench was roundly outclassed which almost never happens. Rose is the balance for this concoction, the maestro, and without him, things tend to fall down like dominoes for Chicago.
Rajon Rondo continues to be involved in trade discussions. This is madness, and it is not Sparta. Rondo is a prolific player in this league and makes everyone around him better. His jumper’s not great. You know, that same shot most of the big men in this league don’t have and half the time we scream at perimeter players for taking anyway. He creates, and creates, and creates. He deserves more credit.
Is Boston back? Far from it. The same feeling pervades this win as it did the Lakers loss. Are the Celtics a bad team? Absolutely not. Are they a great team? Absolutely not. They’re somewhere in between, they’re fine. And unless they get a lot better in the next two months, the Big 3 era will go out with a whimper, not a bang.
Because if they see Chicago in the playoffs, Derrick Rose will likely not be on the sidelines.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 24
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28