Feb 11, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Mike Brown is different from the last Lakers coach in a lot of ways. For example, when you ask him a direct question he’ll answer it. Even if he probably shouldn’t wade into those waters.
For example, the whole “Kobe or LeBron” debate.
Brown talked about it to CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger and talked about it in terms of legacy.
“I think it starts when you look at championship rings,” Brown said. “The guys who have multiple rings are the ones you mention when you start talking about people’s legacies. They should be mentioned first, because there are a lot of great players out there that I believe can put up great numbers and do great things, especially on a team where you don’t win. It’s a different type of pressure that you go through. To have five of them, and to have the possibility of getting more — six or seven or eight — it’s like, ‘Whoa.’ And that right there by itself is what puts you in a different category.
“If we’re just talking about talent, or pure talent alone, yeah, there are other guys out there that have a high talent level,” Brown said. “Are they to the level of Kobe’s? In different aspects of the game. If you’re talking about who’s the most talented passer, LeBron or Kobe, well, LeBron is. Who’s the more talented midrange scorer? Kobe is. Who’s the better attacker? Dwyane Wade is. So they all do different things, I think, better than each other. But at the end of the day, when it comes to combining talent and skill with the most important thing, which is winning, I don’t know how you don’t give [Kobe] the edge.”
I don’t think even the most ardent LeBron supporters would argue that right now his legacy is better than Kobe’s. It’s not. The debate about who is the better player right now is the one that gets people fired up, but Brown artfully dodged that question. (The answer is LeBron, by the way.)
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6