Feb 11, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
There was a time when LeBron James was trying to figure out how to get the Cleveland Cavaliers into the playoffs, when Chis Bosh was not near enough to get Toronto over .500, when Dwyane Wade was trying to figure out how to fit is game into the NBA.
Basically, a time when those three were where John Wall is now.
They understand what he is going through as the young face of a struggling franchise.
When the Heat took on the Wizards, the Heat’s stars offered advice to Wall, via Brian Jackson at CSNWashington.com.
“Just get better every day and keep working,” said Bosh who scored 24 points and pulled down 11 rebounds in Miami’s win. “There’s not too much you can tell guys in that situation. Especially as a young guy, you just have to focus every day on learning something new. Be professional and play hard every game. Even though it is tough, that’s what’s necessary.”
“As much pressure as there is, he’s a good enough player to be able to handle it,” said Wade. “He’s a good kid as well. I think he’ll be fine as long he keeps the mentality this is my franchise. And as he continues to get better and better everyone around him will also get better.”
“He’s got to keep his head up,” said James after scoring 18 points and handing out nine assists. “He’s a great player, he’s going to be a star in this league for a lot of years. It’s definitely tough for him right now. I went through that my first couple years in the NBA. He’s got to continue to lead. Even though he’s a young guy they take his leadership. He’s got to continue to play basketball the right way and try to lead his team.”
Wall’s numbers year-over-year are very similar, and while he is slightly more efficient this year — he’s taking fewer long jumpers — it’s not dramatic. It’s not the big step forward myself and many others expected from him this season. His jump shot has not improved.
The Wizards need to change the culture in the locker room, there needs to be a commitment to professionalism from the players that has not been there consistently in the past. Wall will improve in that environment. But he has to be the change he wants to see. The advice from those Heat players is spot on.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11