Feb 10, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
If you are going to impress Kobe Bryant, you’re going to have to do a lot more than have three good games in February. A lot more.
Jeremy Lin is a sensation, “Linsanity” is sweeping New York as Kobe Bryant and the Lakers come to town Friday night. Two weeks ago the Knicks looked lost, then Jeremy Lin — the twice cut Harvard grad — burst on the scene with a skill set that fits the Mike D’Antoni offense. Suddenly the Knicks have won three games with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony out of action, and New York is fun to watch.
Kobe is still not impressed. Via WEEI in Boston.
“I know who he is, but I don’t really know what’s going on too much with him. I don’t even know what he’s done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I’ll take a look at it tonight though.”
[Asked again about Lin] “I don’t even know what the [expletive] is going on. What the [expletive] is going on? Who is this kid? I’ve heard about him and stuff like that, but what’s he been doing? Is he getting like triple doubles or some [expletive]? He’s averaging 28 and eight? No [expletive]. If he’s playing well, I’ll just have to deal with him.”
[Would he consider guarding Lin?] “Jesus Christ. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”
First rule of Kobe — the more he cusses in a conversation the closer you get to the truth. That said, Kobe is a guy well aware of what is going on in the NBA — he knows who Lin is and what he’s done.
He’s just not impressed.
Friday night is going to be an interesting test for Lin and the Knicks. Lin is going to be able to dribble around Derek Fisher like he is an orange traffic cone. But When Lin comes off the high pick Friday he’s going to find the Laker big men — Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol — are far more active in showing out and cutting off lanes than anything he has seen the last two games. The Lakers are not an elite defensive team (11th in league in points per possession) but they are tied for the best in opponent field goal percentage (allowing just 41.7 percent shooting).
The things the Knicks did right the last three games they are going to have to do better Friday to win.
Do that and you start to impress Kobe.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47