Feb 10, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
If you are going to impress Kobe Bryant, you’re going to have to do a lot more than have three good games in February. A lot more.
Jeremy Lin is a sensation, “Linsanity” is sweeping New York as Kobe Bryant and the Lakers come to town Friday night. Two weeks ago the Knicks looked lost, then Jeremy Lin — the twice cut Harvard grad — burst on the scene with a skill set that fits the Mike D’Antoni offense. Suddenly the Knicks have won three games with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony out of action, and New York is fun to watch.
Kobe is still not impressed. Via WEEI in Boston.
“I know who he is, but I don’t really know what’s going on too much with him. I don’t even know what he’s done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I’ll take a look at it tonight though.”
[Asked again about Lin] “I don’t even know what the [expletive] is going on. What the [expletive] is going on? Who is this kid? I’ve heard about him and stuff like that, but what’s he been doing? Is he getting like triple doubles or some [expletive]? He’s averaging 28 and eight? No [expletive]. If he’s playing well, I’ll just have to deal with him.”
[Would he consider guarding Lin?] “Jesus Christ. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”
First rule of Kobe — the more he cusses in a conversation the closer you get to the truth. That said, Kobe is a guy well aware of what is going on in the NBA — he knows who Lin is and what he’s done.
He’s just not impressed.
Friday night is going to be an interesting test for Lin and the Knicks. Lin is going to be able to dribble around Derek Fisher like he is an orange traffic cone. But When Lin comes off the high pick Friday he’s going to find the Laker big men — Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol — are far more active in showing out and cutting off lanes than anything he has seen the last two games. The Lakers are not an elite defensive team (11th in league in points per possession) but they are tied for the best in opponent field goal percentage (allowing just 41.7 percent shooting).
The things the Knicks did right the last three games they are going to have to do better Friday to win.
Do that and you start to impress Kobe.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10